Bunny Supplies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnygreen

Reaction score
I was just confused on one thing before I get a bunny, what should I use for their flooring or bedding? Some sites say hay, some say shredded newspaper, some say grass. I need to know this before I get a bunny so please help! :big wink:
Also, what should I use for the litter box after they are litter trained?

First question I'll ask is what type of crate or cage are you going to purchase.

We started out with a wired chicken/rabbit coop. We put down towels to protect their feet.

We then purchased crates that have plastic flooring. We now put towels or more to the point my husband t-shirts for our bunnies to lay on. They will either lay on them or push them aside and lay on the plastic flooring for cooling purposes.

We don't put down hay or newspaper. The hay goes in their litter box which they like to eat out of and lay in.

The litter box is full with Eco Bedding which is a recycled paper with no scent. Washed and sterilized. We did check the company out and they have a very good record especially with small pets. The Eco bedding does absorb better because it's recycled paper that is boiled, repressed, cut and sterilized.

Congratulations on doing all the research before getting your bunny. It is so much easier to understand a bunny and it's needs before bringing them home. They deserve it. They are wonderful animals and never a dull moment. lol

Wishing you luck. And please post when you get your bunny.

And never, ever stop asking questions. There is always someone on this site who knows. Have fun and just love on them.

K:)

If you're going to keep your rabbit in an xpen [exercise pen], a sheet of linoleum a little bigger than the pen is, will be ideal on the floor. The floor of Honey's pen is lined with pieces of brown paper that she hasn't finished tearing to shreds yet.

For the litter box itself, get the largest size of cat box, so your rabbit can lay down in it.

I see you're in the Chicago area. Are you planning to get your rabbit from Red Door Animal Shelter? That's where I got Honey in November. Anyway, starting a month or so after Easter is usually the time most shelters have the most rabbits to choose from.

i use woody pet for the litter box since the whole rest of the cage in linoleum. the bedding are pellets and when they pee on it they expand and turn into sand. best stuff ever!!!! also aspen/pine/cedar can be dangerous since they have fumes and can hurt their fragile eyes

Thx for all the responses! But won't it hurt the bunnies because can't they chew on the shirts or anything you use? Couldn't they suffocate and swallow the cloth? This is what i was worried about... and i can't seem to find good cages and the only one that is decent
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?sku=955825
but it DOES have the problem with the wire on the bottom :(
If you have any other suggestions AROUND THAT PRICE RANGE please share!

A cage like that would only be ok if you have the rabbit out every single day. I don't have a cage at all, but an xpen with 8 24" wide panels. The height depends on whether your rabbit is a climber or not; 30" would be ok if not, 48" if so. Besides the pen I've got a carrier, smaller than a pen, for trips to the vets etc.

You can use a wire dog crate as a cage. It would be pretty much the same as the cage you posted, but would have a solid bottom and can be bigger. Something like this would be suitable http://www.petco.com/product/13742/Petmate-Deluxe-Edition-Wire-Kennel.aspx
I would get the biggest one you can afford. You can look online for a used on that is in good condition to save some money.

Ok i looked and compared and i think i am going to get the original midwest wabbitat cage but the large version instead of the medium :) that way it has the biggest cage ;)

Latest posts

Back