Bunny stuff

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unojuno

Reaction score
I'm re-posting this because I didn't know what I was doing and I posted it
as a reply to someone. Sorry. Here it again.

Right now I have a 9yr. old male Dutch. Sweet little guy. He has some arthritis
and he just lost his love Binky. a beautiful female Dutch on June 23rd. I think,
I say think, because we really don't know, I think he's doing OK. At 1st he became
a little withdrawn. I would to if I just lost my everyday together love. Since then he's ventured outside several times. I mean that seems OK considering he doesn't get around as much with arthritis. He's eating. Those are good sign's are they not?
I'm also on bunspace since Binky died and most say get another bun for Thumper.
There's only one in town and she's a bit bigger and only 8 months old. Not spayed.
I'd hate to bring her home and spend over $130 for spaying plus her cost and not have them get along. AT the same time I'm thinking it might energize Thumper
and give him a new perspective on things. Anyone have thoughts on this? Than

I think that loss of a bond mate is always crushing on the bunny, more than we know. Getting him a new friend could be good for him, however, I wouldn't go about it by picking out a rabbit for him, spaying her, and then attempting to bond. In any potential bond, the bunnies should be the ones to pick their friend. It's ideal for Thumper to meet the young girl and see if he is friendly, and more importantly, if the young bun is friendly towards Thumper as young bunnies (especially unspayed) can be quite feisty around another rabbit.

Are there any rabbit rescues near you that you can contact? Rescues typically want to do the initial bunny date to make sure the buns get along. And rescue buns are typically already spayed/neutered, which will save you a bunch of money getting it done privately.

hello there kirbyultra,

I'm sure it is crushing. It just breaks my heart to not be able to get another bun
for Thump-er. From what I've been reading, bunnies are extremely social. And no
there are not any rescues in my area. there is an SPCA but they never have bunnies.
Cat's and cat's and cat's some dog's. Since having these two lovelies in my life, I
can't imagine having any other. I'm trying to hold for someone to call and say
they have found a Dutch. I just love the Dutch bunny. But at the same time, my
Jumper's health is more important than my wants. I'm really thinking on getting
that one downtown. I'll build a big fenced cage out side and let them get
introduced that way. If they don't get along, then one will stay in the cage while
the other roams the yard. I have all these veggies I grow each yr. for Thumper and Binky, so I'm hoping the new one will settle well into her new yard. If they fight, one will stay in the cage. It's got to be better for Thumper to have something going on.
Either way, it has to preoccupy him.....thanks for dropping in. I have pics on Bun Space under the name Binky if you care to see them. i see you have some great
looking bun's...ciao for now

Latest posts

Back