Bunny sick after neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TanishaEileen

Reaction score
Sasha, my mini rex, was neutered about a week ago now, Aug 17. I'm really frustrated, because this is the second time i've had a sick bunny after a neuter, except the first time he died and it was the most traumatizing experience.
What I want to know is if its common for males to get sick after being neutered, and how soon.

The story is I took Sasha to the same vet I took Kale, who died within a month of being neutered. I took him to the emergency hospital after I realized he was extremely sick, they told me it is the snuffles, and said it would be better to leave him with them but because I could not afford 750 dollars they gave me baytrall? antibiotic, and send me on my way home, with a food I could mix and force feed him and a bunch of needles so I could inject him twice a day. After leaving the emergency hospital, he died about 6 hours later. That was really hard!

Sasha, who is a baby of Kale, just got neutered and not even a week later he is showing much the same symptoms as Kale. He has stopped eating, has no energy, and his eye was watering. He is being given antibiotics that I never gave to kale (they haven't expired and I kept in the fridge), I have been forcing him to eat even a little, and I have been leaving him in the bathroom with the shower on as hot as possible for 2 days now. He looked a little better this morning but I think his breathing is getting worse, like Kales did.

I can't afford to go through this again, both financially and emotionally, because I honestly have such a distaste and hatred for vets and now that this is the second bunny to get sick after a neuter, plus all my other terrible experiences, I feel the vet I took him to had something to do with it. I've also read bunnys can be finnicky, but I'm not sure if this is that common! I honestly don't think i'll ever fix another bunny again after this.

Any advice would be wonderful! I am at work right now, but when I get home, I am going to look at his condition, and decide if it would be smarter for me to put him to sleep to avoid the pain, because it was really really hard with Kale, and I didn't put him to sleep but had to watch him die in so much pain :( it was terrible! I dont' want that again. Please any advice would be nice!

I should also add that when Kale got sick, he was sharing a cage with mama, and the babies, I had just moved them in together because he calmed down so much.
I still have Hera who is the mama, and I gave one baby bun to the spca. I had adopted what I was told were sisters, only to turn out a month later Hera gave birth.
None of the other buns, or my cat, ever got sick, and mama has not been sharing a cage with Sasha, but there cages were next to each other and she is perfectly happy.

Young rabbits are much more suseptable to disease. My guess is that both of them were exposed and it is the stress of the neuter, not the procedure itself, that dropped the imunesystem. It is not a normal occurance for them to get sick after a neuter, but it is a stressful event.

Did you have an autopsy to confirm cause of death in the first one? What does your vet say?

Latest posts

Back