Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Hankins

Reaction score
Hi! I have a big issue, i just found out that one of my sibling rabbits is male. They are both around 16 weeks old; they've always been in the same cage. He (Claudia, now Clyde) has been humping Bonnie recently and I checked again and found he was male. However, they are really attached to each other so is it necessary to separate them already? Could they be early bloomers and Bonnie be pregnant already? What about rabbit inbreeding, should I just let them go through with it at this point? I'm no professional breeder, so I want them to be okay, but I've always heard that bunny pregnancies aren't usually complicated. I'd appreciate some advice, thanks!

Puberty can start around 12weeks and rabbits are notoriously fertile so it is possible she could be pregnant. I would separate them now, and either wait to see if she starts showing signs of nesting etc, or take her to a vet to determine if she is pregnant. If she is not, I suggest you spay the female and castrate the male - they will get on better in the long run, it prevents all sorts of diseases, and also you won’t have this worry again :)

My first 2 rabbits were possibly brother and sister as i brought them from same breeder. I originally thought they were both boys... turns out not the case.
I seperated them.
My doe then had 5 healthy kits. Not good stock but amazing pets. X

Hi! I have a big issue, i just found out that one of my sibling rabbits is male. They are both around 16 weeks old; they've always been in the same cage. He (Claudia, now Clyde) has been humping Bonnie recently and I checked again and found he was male. However, they are really attached to each other so is it necessary to separate them already? Could they be early bloomers and Bonnie be pregnant already? What about rabbit inbreeding, should I just let them go through with it at this point? I'm no professional breeder, so I want them to be okay, but I've always heard that bunny pregnancies aren't usually complicated. I'd appreciate some advice, thanks!
You can leave the buck in the cage until about a week before the doe kindles, if they're really attached to each other. Then you want to separate them so the dad doesn't become violent or territorial.

Hope this helps!

https://minirexrabbiters.wixsite.com/minirexrabbitersmn

Latest posts

Back