Bunny shy but trying again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethystkytten

Reaction score
Hello I am new here and just thought I would say hello before I dig through the forums! I just got an american fuzzy lop? She is my second bunny I have ever owned my first was a rex and he turned out to be very vicious to the point we had no other option but to give him to a rescue. He made me very scared of bunnies. My boyfriend got me to hold this lovely long haired rabbit in the store he works at and I fell in love with her sweet calm temper and curious ways. He brought her home two days later as a surprise. Together my bunny and I are learning to adjust to each other and getting along just fine so far!

Okay, first thing is almost any bunny can be turned into acceptable companion. It takes time, patience, and developing an understanding of bunny behavior and your bunnies particular needs. Mr Hoppes came to us from N CA and he was 2 days from being put down. He'd been adopted 3 times and brought back because of aggressive behavior. His main problem was he'd had no continuity and was afraid of humans. He's been with us for 5 months and has turned into a little pest--he follows me all around now and always wants a head and cheek rub. When we first got him, all he'd do is run and hide. I got him used to being picked up and handled which were things he didn't like then but is no trouble now and he even lets me rub his sides, neck and belly and comes when called. We have had some real monsters, but have been able to deal with all of them with love, patience, understanding of bunny behavior and what their past has been like. Not an easy task to undertake, especially if you are new to bunnies, but if you have a shy one that turns into a pest for your attention there is nothing better. Thank the Deities that our Checkered Giant was a sweety like the one you have now or we'd really have had to work overtime as she's almost 20 pounds.

I think it was my lack of knowledge that resulted in the first rabbit I had going so mean. He was just fine at first I could hold him pet him and he ran free about the house.Then suddenly he got very mean trying to bite and got so bad I was terrified to pick him up unless I used a towel over him and I could not even feed him without him getting aggressive.This time around I researched like crazy once she came home.I have a large cage for her and eventually want her to go in and out freely once adjusted to my home.I even am planning a rabbit garden!

Sounds like your first one became hormonal and needed neutering. Just like having a teenager at home with you-sometimes they are pleasant but mostly I wanted to run away myself. Experience helps plus our very first rescue was a very difficult and demanding little Diva, but she turned into such a sweet little bunny. She's been gone almost 6 years now and we still miss her. We've done a lot of reading over the years as well as discussions with other slaves.

Sorry to hear about your first bunn, it does sound like it could have been a hormonal change as he matured.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, I'm glad to know that you're in love with bunnies again, they're wonderful creatures with all sorts of crazy personalities :D

Latest posts

Back