Bunny shampoo?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't recommend using any of those. Bathing rabbits can be very stressful for them and really shouldn't be done unless there is a medical problem that requires it, such as a disabled rabbit that can't keep himself clean.

If you really wanted to use one of those products, try the no-rinse shampoo. But I don't trust Super Pet at all. They just don't give me the feeling that they have my pets' interests in mind, they just market to people. Most of those types of companies are like that, especially for rabbit stuff in pet stores.

IMO, just wipe Bunbuns down with diluted plain vinegar on a paper towel or a baby wipe. The vinegar might help get rid of the urine staining a little, but the best remedy for that is just shedding. :)

Please dont give BunBuns a wet bath!

When I first got Basil, he was unneutered and tended to get stinky quite easily. I saw a bottle of rabbit shampoo at the pet store, took him home and got him lathered up. About halfway through, he completely froze up. I thought he was going to die from shock. Its was terrifying.

Luckily he pulled through but Ive heard of other buns who werent so lucky. If you have to give him a wet bath, just fill the sink with about an inch of water and dunk his bottom end in, scrub and then pull him out and wrap him in a towel to dry.

But first I would try a wet cloth, that should work just fine :)

PS. If hes getting dirty, you might want to try a new litter. What are you using now?

Ive been using yesterdays new and carefresh.. do you reccomend a certain litter that helps prevent oder?

Thanks

-April and Bunbuns

I use that "Squeeky Clean" critter shampoo, but for the rats and I bathe them *maybe* once or twice a year, because males tend to get stinky when they sleep in their pee all the time. I am looking into getting a natural/organic shampoo for them this time around, though.

As long as the stains on BunBun aren't harming him, then I would let it go. Don't attempt to wash him in a tub, sink, or anything.

Really, I don't understand how he can be stained. If the litter box & cage is kept really clean, then he shouldn't be dirty.

Some boys are just messy that way and are big sprayers. I wasn't able to open your link, but my daughter has used a no-rinse shampoo spray (I think it's called Squeaky Clean?) on some of her rabbits with no problems. It helps with the smell. She just sprays it on (pretty lightly, not to soak the fur) then brushes it through and dries with a towel or cotton pads. We have one very messy Holland and she recently cleaned him up and dried him with a warm hair dryer. Our rabbits live outside, so we had to make sure he was dry because it's cold now. I would never thoroughly wet and shampoo a rabbit. My cousin lost his rabbit that way!

I had a rabbit before Macey, and her stains gradually wore off. Her previous owner kept her in a box where I guess she layed in her pee and stuff.

Before

dscn1389hf9.jpg

After

montana011lj9.jpg

I don't think that you should try it. Some of the stuff in it probably aren't safe.

I know it's not a good idea to give rabbits a bath. They really don't like it (that's what I've heard). I think that if a bunny gets wet it's gets cold, and makes it more sesceptible to desiease, at least I think that's what happens.

Back