bunny seizures??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulsboopy

Reaction score
every once in a while my bunny will throw his head back and lick at the ceiling. his head will go back and he just looks at the ceiling and keeps sticking out his tounge. when i first saw him do this i thought he was choking. i was wondering if anyone knew what this could be?? i was wondering if it could be that he's having a seizure of some kind?

nope he's perfectly fine otherwise. he eats and poops regularly and even does happy flops in his cage. but i mean, it doesn't seem normal for him to be doing this.

I would schedule an appointment with a rabbit savvy vet to determine if there is something neurological or otherwise going on. That would be my recommendation.

I have seen 2 rabbits have seizures and they are like full blown epileptic fits they were on their sides and convulsing. It could be nuerological but it doent sound liek seizures to me belive me its one of teh most horrid things to witness in rabbits.

Some seizures (just like in humans ) are more subtle... although this may not be a seizure at all

Maybe he got a piece of hay stuck between his teeth and was trying to work it out.; I have seen mine do that particularly Beau with all the dental problems

There was one of my shelter buns, that when you would scratch his butt he would twist his head around and lick the air. It was kind of like he was grooming the air. He was way overweight and couldn't groom his butt and I think it felt good. I don't know if this applies in your case, but thought I would throw it in.

When Irub Alice's butt (that sounds funny) she frantically starts licking her dewlap. It's cute. Maybe he's not having a seizure at all. Maybe it's his own form of a binky. I don't know......

I'm really not sure if this applies - but I had a bunny, Sneakers, who would get so relaxed and sleepy - his head would nod back up and down..almost like a human. He would actually almost fall back and wake himself up.

I hope that your bunny just has a funny quirk like that - but you should bring him to a vet to get check out, just in case.

Lots of luck!:clover:

you know, he does like when you scratch his butt ALOT but he doesn't lick the air while you're doing it. wel, i guess i'll make an appt just in case. thanks!

I know this might sound dumb, but is he yawning possibly? I know you didn't say his mouth was open or anything, this just seems so weird!

BEAUKEZRA wrote:
When Irub Alice's butt (that sounds funny) she frantically starts licking her dewlap. It's cute. Maybe he's not having a seizure at all. Maybe it's his own form of a binky. I don't know......
I had a rabbit at the shelter that would twist his head around and lick the air when I scratched his butt. He was overweight and had trouble grooming his butt and just loved getting it scratched.

no he doesn't open his mouth. he just sticks his little tounge out. but heDOES do binkies in his cage.and actually i remembered something that he sometimes does that my other bun doesn't do--he sometimes sneezes? do yall think that that has anything to do with anything?

I don't know :?
I don't think that there is any way to know unless a vet can examine him
is there any way you could make a video of him in the process of doing this. ?

I had a rabbit Pumkin that had seizures and she would lay down and her front legs would go out and stretch in front of her and she would shake and when you looked at her eyes and call her name u could tell she didnt know what was going on.I rescued her when she was 6 months old and her ears where eaten off by another starving rabbit. She started having them at 6 months and lived to be a little over a year old.

well, he doesn't shake at all though and that's the weird thing. he's totally fine otherwise. just every once in a while he'll look up and lick. but it doesn't look very comfortable.

Latest posts

Back