Bunny puberty??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

area20

Reaction score
My 4 month old male holland has just recently started making this funny noise. It sounds like he is a bee. He does this when u sit on the floor and he runs up to you or first thing in the morning when he is so excited to get out of his cage. I think this may be knwn as "grunting" in bunny terms, but the behavior to that seems to be aggressive or a mating behavior? He seems VERY happy/excited when he does this...and I feel like he is too young to be mating? Is he already going through puberty?

Also,
I also realized his litter box has a much more potent smell to it the last few days? Would that mean anything? Nothing in his diet has changed.

haha I call this noise the 'Road-runner' noise in Ripley. Yep, 4-6 mo. they hit puberty. I haven't gotten Rips fixed (and he's just hitting that age) but its a good idea. The biggest thing at least with my bunny is that he doesn't start spraying. The second he does..off to the vet he goes for his surgery. lol

Not only is he going threw puberty but he has developed a crush on YOU :inlove:
This is his way of saying he has fallen in love with you. Get him fixed asap or he could start spraying you (to let others know your his true love) or even humping... Yep they do that.

My baby is doing this as well. He's humping his girlfriend like a fiend. What surprised me the most is how bad it stinks! He's scheduled for pre-op blood test and check-up next week. Time for the snip!

LOL! Oh dear.. I do not want to be violated by my baby bun! Who knew I'd have to have the birds and bees discussion so quickly in his life???

RoscoTheRat wrote:
Nancy McClelland wrote:
And there is always the fun of getting your arm violated whenever you reach into his hutch.

Omg! I just choked!

Oh I totally did too! That did make my night so much better. :)

I never got the humping or spraying, the cats did. It gets old fast and it gets worse before it ever gets better. Plus I was always worrying about whether one of the cats would bite him. Got him neutered a month ago, best thing I could do for all of us haha. Completely different rabbit. Tho he'll still circle and make that cute little noises when he's excited, but it never goes past that.

It is a lot less stressfulbetween the 3 of them now.

Yeah, Ghirardelli tried to hump the cat last night. Andre (also male) really did not appreciate it! He jumped up to his high bed and pouted all evening. :p

haha spraying = peeing on the cats. Or rather marking his teritory. I've only been peed on once only because the cat was sitting next to me. poor Merlin usually got it in the face.

Yep, Ripley hasn't started spraying, then again i don't want to jinx myself either. He ALWAYS tries to get my arms when I reach in his cage... =p silly bunny. lol
I"m going to see about getting him fixed, but man its expensive.

Yeah the peeing was my least favorite part and then I usually had to give the cat a bath which he hated. Well he probably hated getting humped more. When I went to pull Harvey off the cat, Harvey would be hanging on to the cat by the fur.

He had a pretty good grip too.

Back