Bunny Personalities

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holtzchick

Reaction score
So, I got my bunny about 4 or 5 months ago now and he still has not warmed up to me. I make sure he has all the exercise he needs, I don't even have him in a cage anymore, he gets his own room and has many toys so he should be happy. Whenever I try to spend time with him, he will not come near me and anytime I move he runs away from me. I figured after soo long of taking such good care of him he would have at the very least warmed up to me and try not to get discouraged but its kind of tough. I know that alot of bunnies don't like to be picked up and I haven't even tried but I would like to be able to touch him without him freaking out even just in case I have to take him to the vet. I feel bad but I feel like we're not clicking well together. Don't get me wrong he's very well behaved however I would like Peter to be a good companion to me as well and to get frustrated and just give up would be too much of a shame and he doesn't deserve that either, but I don't even know if he's happy with me. Sometimes he does binkies but they're getting less frequent. I don't know if he's just not a social bunny or if he will let me touch him eventually.

Any other tips/views on this matter?

Thank You.

PS feel free to share your different bunnies personalities.

Honestly I just think some bunnies are not interested in human companionship. I have one rabbit that literally had zero interest in any of the people in the house. She doesnt look for pets or even seem to appreciate them but she isnt aggressive either so I just chat with her and let her have her excercise but I dont even bother petting her anymore. She is the only one like that the rest like pets to one degree or another other than one that we took in who had been abandoned and had serious aggression issues it took me a year to even be able to pet her without her lunging and even up until the end I cut her nails by pinning her to the bottom of her cage because I could not pick her up to flip her on her back.

Perhaps your approach to pet your bun is too proactive. Being prey animals, they often see an approach as a chase. Try lying down on the floor on your back or stomach, and pretend to be doing something, even read a book and have a really tasty treat with, then hopefully your bun will be curious enough to approach and you can reward him :)

Bunnies are not smart enough to appreciate that you give them free space to run around in. That means nothing to them. Also chasing a bunny is not going to help you bond with it.

Like previously said. Your bunny must get used to your presence. Spend a hour or two a day in the room reading, using lap top, etc. Bunnies are very curious animals and will eventually become curious in you. It may take a couple months but bunny will adapt to your presence even if they are not interested in human love. They will accept you actually being in the room, but may not let you pick them up.

This is very similar to feeding your bunny fresh vegetables. They will not appreciate that you come in and drop fresh food every day. If you hand feed them, they will.

I just don't think they are smart enough to make that connection.

My bunny's been living with us for 11 months and she still doesn't like to be picked up. It took a very long time till she gets used to be petted. I figured that she has her own world and her personalties might not be the same as many bunnies here, but I love all about her. She can be very bossy sometimes and moody when she didn't get what she wanted. She gets angrys every time we pick her up for cleaning and clipping nails. I still hope that one day we can easily hold her, but that's just a hope. I'm happy just the way she is. Trust me, your bun isn't the only one who reacts like this toward their staff :) Mine is the same. Give him some times. Spend more time in his room, but pay no attention to him. Showing him that you're a friend. Once he gets used to your routine, things will turn up and you will see.
Oh, this is my personal experience, they don't like fragrance, cologne, such things. So don't wear them when it's the bonding time with your bunny. Good luck and don't lose hope :) He will come around. You will see. It might take some time and I know it gets more frustrating when you read here and many bunnies are in love with their staffs, trust me I felt a little sad before, but now I know my girl loves me and she shows her love in her way. If your bunny is relaxed and does binky sometimes ( even humans aren't super happy everyday,right?;)), eats and drinks normally. That means he's happy.
:hug2:

It takes many hours a day for a long time (I say 6 mo to a year) to bond with your bunnies. It takes laying on the floor, staring contests, and allowing the bunny come to you, not the otehr way around.

But do remember, a rabbit is not a dog or cat and shows affection in a different manner. 3 of my personal buns are independent and I have to take their small signs as signs of true love. A binkie is a sign of affection, esp done in your presence. So is laying down, especially in a position where he is flat or it woudl be harder for him to get up fast.

Make sure your petting him properly too..If you take yoru index and thumb finger and "scoop" his head (from the nose to the ears) that is a good way. Some buns don't like their body to be petted. Kissing his ears work too.

But for now, get a laptop or book and lay down flat for at least an hour a day when he is most active. when he comes to you, don't react. Don't try to pet him. Let him explore you. I would also check that your purfume/deoderant/ect isn't too strong.

If he is fixed that will make a difference as well.

I would suggest bribery. Get some decent healthy treats and give one or two a day, but don't attempt to pet the bunny, just give it the treat. Eventually the bun should be comfortable around you and allow some mild pets. Whenever my buns get mad I can bribe them back to happiness. Also as mentioned, just being in the room helps. My guys became much more social after I moved my computer into their pen.

None of my bunnies like being held (3), but one will sit on my lap on her own all the time. As soon as those hands come out, oh no she hates it.

Prey animals+bunny takes time. it's built into their brains for thousands of years.

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
also, you gave too much freedom before making them your 'friend'.

I disagree. Why would having his own room matter? If you approach a rabbit in a small, enclosed space the more likely it will respond in fear. I think it is amazing he has his own room :)

Two of mine do (Split it with a foster pair) and my others are free roam. Never affected anything.

i sit on my couch with my rabbits one at a time. and my rabbit seem to socialize more with me when i hav another rabbit in the room with them (DONT PUT BUCKS AND DOES TOGETHER EVER) and watch them carefully to make sure they dont fight.Mine never liked toys they prefured a few treats and boxes to explore and they get a kick out of scaring my cats and boxer puppy.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Personally, I think it would be better if I were to put him in a large indoor/outdoor hutch for now because I feel it will be easier for him to see me instead of hiding from me and I have also decided to move the hutch into my bedroom for the sake of not isolating him.

As for petting,he will not let me pet him even when hand feeding so I guess it will take some time. I will post pictures once I get him into his new home :) Looking forward to having him in my room once again!

Back