Bunny passed away suddenly last night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs641

Reaction score
Hello all. I just wanted to seek some input on what you think could have happened to my poor bunny Penny. My husband brought her to me last night around 10 for some cuddles and we noticed she was covered in poop (this has happened before when she’s had too many treats or sugary veggies) so we had to give her a butt bath. Now, when she’s had this issue it’s usually in the morning after being in her crate over night, not usually when she’s out in the house. We complete the butt bath, put her down and she suddenly goes limp, won’t get up. She tries to run around but she can’t, just goes in circles and has a head tilt. Fast forward to me watching her for a few hours (no ER vets here see rabbits so I was waiting till our vet opened) and she began seizing, happened twice, labored breathing and died in my arms. She was fine all day yesterday, what could have caused this to happen so suddenly? She was only 4. This was extremely traumatic and I have been crying non stop. There was no indication of illness, she was 100% normal, this came out of nowhere. I feel like failed her, and I have guilt for absolutely no real reason, but I am mourning her terribly.

I am so sorry. I have no idea what happened!!!
Binky free

Reactions: Fuz
So very sorry for your loss,having lost one of my pair only a couple of weeks ago following a bowel issue,I know exactly how it feels.I broke my heart and wept like a baby so don't feel in any way odd or any of the other phrases ignorant people use to describe animal grief. Of course you won't know exactly without a PM,and even then it may not be conclusive,but the sudden head tilt,with no previous signs of it suggests ,to me at least,the possibility of a stroke or a vascular issue.I'm not a vet of course and you would need to get a professional view to confirm it,but the diarrhoea issue could indicate thatshe,like my precious girl recently gone,had a predisposition to gas or other bowel irritation issues.A vet friend of mine years ago said that due to the huge numbers of rabbits bred,genetic faults and problems which aren't obvious to the naked eye can lay dormant and suddenly flare up,and as we know as rabbiot owners,they don't give you much warning and much time to act.Once again my heart goes out to you and don't feel guilty for the grief,if you hadn't loved her,you wouldn't be feeling it.

Sorry for your loss--we have rescued more than 50 over the last 2+ decades, sometimes, it just happens with little to no symptoms. Our Bonny and Finn were both under 4 years, fine in the morning and gone in the afternoon--tears a hole thru your heart, but, sometimes it just happens. The only thing you can do is think of the good times and the joy you shared.

My heart goes out to you, also. Our level of grief equates to the amount of love invested.

Without a necropsy, there will be lingering Qs. Sorrow will help your heart heal, but we are never the same.

Similar to Nancy McClelland comments, we have been rescuing for almost 18 years. I send my comforting hugs after the traumatic event of losing your beloved companion.

Like you are asking, I search for explanations.

im so sorry, at least she went knowing you loved her and she was happy. im sorry i dont know what happened but i know your bunny must have been so precious to you, im so sorry 😥

I’m so sorry. My bunny passed away in my arms last year, and he was only three. I still cry for him. I’m sure you took amazing care of your sweet bun; sometimes there are things beyond our control.

Back