bunny on panacur and chlor palm for 30 days. how much longer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmerfudd

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm calling on thepros here- someone who has treated with chlor palm and panacur combined. To be frank I don't want guesses or uninformed opinions and please understand no offense is intended, I am justa very tired nurse with raw nerves right now. We were prescribed two broad spectrum drugs - being uncertain as to whether it's EC or inner/middle ear infection. chlor palm 2x a day and panacur 1x a day. Baytril wasn't working anymore and she got worse when we tried azithromycin, so that when we switch to chlor palm AND panacur.

I posted regarding baytril treatments (injections/oral) a few months ago but we had to switch to something else as baytril wasn't working anymore. She's now on panacur and chlor palm for the past 30+ days and has improved. I tried to take her off the panacur about 4 days ago (had the runs)but she started to roll within 24 hours and I assume this was vertigo, so put her back on (it stopped). She developed the runs 2.5 weeks into the treatment after improving everyday so that was a setback. I think it's now under control. It might have been my own error in giving her too many greens, thinking she wasn't having trouble with her meds, so have since cut back to only a small treat as a reward after the oral medicines. I also give her a tiny bit of whole flakes of oats as this was suggested for the runs. hay always available.

As this time she is looking comfortable and has been doing quite well for a few days. She is able to get around, but with care due to still some paralysis in back left leg, balance, and a little head bobble at times. She's very alert, has an appetite, grooms herself as best she canAND her companion, and grinds her teeth happily so I think she's comfortable and content. She can make the steps to her water dish to get a drink, then to her pellet dish, then to the hay, to the bathroom etc., but struggles a bit with some teetering on her feet and sometimes falls over but rights herself, and head bobbling but she knows what she wants to do and usually manages. Her eyes haven't been flickering for at least two weeks and she knows up from down with very little head tilt now. When she is resting her head does slowly go to the one side but not extremely so. What seems to happen though is that for a few day I get excited because she is doing well, and then she seems to have a setback for a day or two, and thenpicks up again. All in all I think each time she rallies from bad days she is slightly better thanbefore.

At what point do I stop with these meds?

I have given her several baths (tepid water only) over the past few months to clean up her poo butt when she had troubles. Is there a shampoo that's ok or should I just stick to plain water for bathing her? She doesn't seem to have the runs right now, but I'd like to "rinse" her off again for her own health.

Thanks very much, Elmer and Einee ----may you be loved by a bunny!

I don't have much experience with E.C. or ear infections (though the paralyzed leg sounds more like E.C. than an ear infection to me), but I do have some thoughts about the runny poop. Is she taking a probiotic? It's very likely the Chlorpalm is messing with the beneficial bacteria in her gut. You should be able to get something from her vet. You can get prebiotics from some pet shops and tack and feed shops. Or try acidophillus from the health food store. I've used children's chewable acidophillus tablets. Others have used the capsules with the powder. Just sprinkle it over her food or in her water.

Definitely take her off greens and anything overly starchy or sugary until her digestive system balances out again (usually after 10-15 days on the probiotics).

As for shampoos, steer clear of human shampoos, including baby shampoos. There are shampoos made for rabbits and other small animals that you can get from the pet store. Dunno if they're any good or not. A natural shampoo from the health food store may be better.

You can also try sprinkling corn starch onto her fur and brush it out. I've used this technique on Gus when he had a wet bottom. It worked fairly well and was definitely quicker and less messy than actual butt baths.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Back