Bunny not pooping for 18+ hours.....help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zuzanna

Reaction score
hi I have a 4 year old dwarf mix bunny called candy floss. She is normally very active and curious aswell as always nibbling in hay. From about 3-4 days ago she had been in a ‘loaf’ position all day and not wanting to eat much or move. From yesterday night she has not made one poop, only peed about 5 times and ate a few leafs of basil and a small piece of celery, but has drunk a bit of water like normal. She has changed behaviour a lot since this morning and is pressing her belly along the floor and laying down with her paws infront.
We have visited the vet at 11am and had been given painkillers as well as some medication for bowel movement, however she had not pooped at all for nearly 18hours and I’m starting to get worried.
The vet has also said it might be related to her teeth as she has a small uslcer in her cheek but I don’t think that’s what’s causing her not to poop as she is actually eating ??
I will call the vet again in the morning however I was just checking for reassurance if this has happened to anyone’s bunny before and what they did.
Thanks.

Did the vet rule out a complete bowel obstruction? Were xrays done to confirm? If her condition seems to be significantly worsening tonight, if she is loud tooth grinding, sitting by the water dish and putting her paws in it, or not swallowing when you syringe feed, I would get her into an out of hours rabbit vet as she could have developed bloat or something else equally as serious.

If the vet ruled out a complete obstruction and she just seems a little uncomfortable but is still swallowing when being syringe fed and doesn't seem to be deteriorating, I would continue to give the gut motility, pain meds, and syringe feeding as instructed by the vet, then contact them in the morning, especially if she still hasn't pooped. When rabbits have GI stasis, they get a little backed up and it can take a little time for things to get moving normally again. Also don't be surprised when the first poops coming out are irregular and may contain some mucous.

Back