Bunny not pooing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crickett

Reaction score
Hello all, I am new here. I just bought a beautiful bunny (5 months old) for my daughter this morning. He is a Lionhead/Hotot mix. The problem we are having is we got the bunny a tabout 7:30 a.m. and it is now 1:40 p.m. and this bunny still has not pooed at all. He finally went pee about 1/2 hour ago. I hope he is just scared. Can anyone help? What can I give him for a laxitive to help him poo?

Hi Crickett, your bunny is beautiful. What's it's name?

Has it eaten anything yet. Do you have pellets and hay readily available for it to eat?

Do you have a litterbox for it? What kind of litter are you using?

Soooska:apollo:

Moved to the Infirmary.:)

Welcome to the forum, Crickett! I'm in Wisconsin too. Your new bun is a real cutie. What's his name?

He's probably just stressed. He's in a new home and everything is different. I'd recommend putting him in his cage and making sure he gets some peace and quiet for awhile. It looks like you're already taking him out, which I wouldn't recommend doing until he's had a chance to settle in. Give him a day or two and then start letting him out to play.

Also, is he eating? Does he have some of the same pellets he was eating before? Changing food too quickly can upset his stomach. Also make sure he has water (not all rabbits will drink out of bottles) and grass hay.

If he doesn't start eating and pooping within 24 hours of bringing him home, I'd take him to a vet. If rabbits don't eat and poop for too long their intestines start to shut down and they require experienced medical care. Do you have a rabbit-savvyv et? Many cat and dog vets don't have a clue. There might be someone near you on our rabbit savvy vet list for Wisconsin,or call your local shelter (although they don't always know) or the Wisconsin House Rabbit Society to see who they recommend for your area.
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11639&forum_id=9

I just weighed Dakota he is 1 pound 12 ounces.He is getting Timothy hay, water from a water bottle, PenPals rabbit pellets (same as from the people we got him from)and alfalfa cubes. He ate some Timothy hay. I had clumping cat litter in his litter box (but after reading on here I quickily change the litter to wood pellets.

Hi there and welcome! :D

Hurray for you for doing your homework. As everyone said, he is most likely just scared. Giving him some alone time should help. Keep us posted.

Oh, and he is adorable! I cant wait to hear more about this little man :kiss:

I raise Chinchillas so I have the Timothy hay, alf. cubes, water bottles and wood chew toys. We just think he is to adorable to leave him alone for a few days, But now I know to leave him be. Sorry and Thank you. Any more info would be great. He is such a sweet boy. I have never had such a sweet rabbit. I hope he stay this sweet (for my daughter).

Is PenPals a good rabbit food? Does anyone know where I can get Purina show Quality rabbit pellets in Wisconsin? Thanks.

Which formula is he on? Here's a link to info:
http://www.admani.com/AllianceRabbit/

It looks pretty good. I haven't had any personal experience with it but the nutrient analysis for the 16% and 15% protein look good. I'd recommend switching to the 15% in a few months when he's at his adult size.

Purina is a common brand. Have you checked your local feed stores? Usually each store only carries one brand although they might be able to order something different for you.Heinhold is another good brand that you can find at feed stores.

Oh, and re the Purina, check out the nutrient info:
http://www.rabbitnutrition.com/rabbit/index_rabbit.html

It can be hard to find alfalfa pellets that have enough fiber. The minimum fiber should be at least 18%.The minimum fiber in the show formula is only 15%. RabbitChow "green bag" is popular and has minimum 17% fiber which is better. The "Complete Plus" High Fiber has the best fiber of the Purina brands- minimum 21%.

IMO I prefer timothy pellets for adult non-breeding rabbits, but they're not always necessary. Some rabbits need them for the lower protein amount (16% protein sometimes causes poop problems in adult rabbits) while others need the extra fiber (usually well over 20%, Oxbow has a minimum 25%). Plus they're lower in calories so they're good for our often-chubby buns. It's something to look into in the future.

I found PenPals in a petstore (feed mill) in the next town over. I am going to be switching my chinchillas over to that food also as many big breeders recommend it also.

Dakota drank some water and is eating some Timothy hay so hopefully he is getting more used to being here and hopefully we will be getting bunny poop soon. (Gee I never thought I would be saying that. LOL.)

My husband is so embarassed that I posted that. I am so happy, I was getting scared that in the morning that we would find a dead bunny. My daughter is spending the night at a friends house and I did not want to have to tell her the bad news, so now I am so happy their is no bad news. Yippeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh thats great!

Tell your hubby that its normal chat here ;)We're all weird...

If he needs proof, show him these emoticons: :litterempty::litterfew::litterhealthy:

:sweep......:headflick:

Keep us posted!

Dakota is doing great this morning. Pooping and eating and drinking. Thanks everybody for all of your help and not letting me freak out.

Latest posts

Back