Bunny not eating very much and pooping very small

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetym4

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My bunny is about 5 1/2 years old and we just moved into a new house..

He seemed to be fine running around and everything but today he isacting spooked. He isn't moving around very much and when youpet him he acts startled.

I've been noticing that since we got here a few days ago his poops havebeen small and he hasn't eaten much of his pellets. It isn'tvery hot here either.

Also when I walked by him today I heard his stomach grumbling a couple times.

If someone could help me out that would be great.

Thanks,
sweety

Sounds like he's going into statis...you need toget some canned pumpkin, papaya and pineapple or pineapple juice intohim...even if you need to feed him via a syringe.

If you do a search on GI statis you'll get much more info than I'vegiven you here...you need to get treatment started right away, an apptwith the vet would be in order as well!

Thanks,

I have also noticed that he has been shedding, or moulting I think itscalled, fora while now...(a month or so) everytimeI notice it I take him outside and pull it out..but it just keepscoming back.

I will get some of the pumpkin after work today...should I also get Nutrical?

sweety

I just got some canned pumpkin from the storeand when I took it to him he was not impressed at all lol. Icovered a piece of banana in it and hopefully he will eat it.

Will keep you up to date.

Thanks

Hi Sweetym,

If he doesn't eat it, syringe feed it to him. That and a small dose ofsimethicone will help if he's got gas in there. Some also give theirrabbits fresh pineapple juice. The enzymes are said to helpbreak down the mucus that holds the hair together, although there havebeen some that say that it doesn't work. Regardless, I've used itanyway and it did help my little guy.

Check out the "Top Picks" thread at the top of the forum, and go into"Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care", in there, there's a link about GIStasis.

Let him get some exercise if he's up to it. Moving around will helpbreak it up. You have to act quickly with this because it is fatal ifthey do have a blockage. Would also suggest a touch of tetracycline(antibiotic that can be purchased at a feed store). That, also, wouldhave to be syringe-fed to him. A small syringe should do the trick. 2ccs or so. You can put them on their back as you hold them, and thepush the syringe just behind their front teeth. Make sure you get downa bit so that they can't spit it back out at you.

Your little one will be in my prayers. Keep us posted. And don't be afraid to give him a little massage.

:pray:

-Carolyn

P.S. Definitely get him NutriCal. If he's 4 lbs or over, I'd give himan inch of it. It will boost his immune system, it has laxatone in it,it will stimulate his appetite and give him the nutrients and vitaminshe's missing by not eating.

Thanks for the reply Caroline,

Yes he is always allowed to exerise as he is never locked up...hasntbeen for over 5 years now. He continues to run around once ina while and where he is laying at the moment, there are a couple smallpoops and a bit of diahreah.

I'm not sure if this is related or not but hes had off and on diahreahfor over a month now and for some reason it never ends up in his litterbox, and only once on carpet. Usually it happens in the coldroom side of our basement where the floor is just concrete.During this time his poops were the normal size though.

Thanks,

sweety

Nutrical is very easy to syringe feed.Just pull it into the syringe right from the tube. Works likea charm. ;)

The rumbly tummy sounds like gas. You can give him simethicone (sp?) for that- it's infant gas relief.

The diarrhea sound like a cecal problem to me.

I would take him to a vet. There are lots of things we can doto help our rabbits through stasis, but a good rabbit vet can prescibedrugs that get the intestines moving properly again. A vetcould also help you figure out why his cecal pellets are runny.

SweetyM,

Tucker always starts his Stasis the way you're describing. Runny poos/excess of cecotropes/smaller stools, lack of appetite.

Noting your comment about the cold side of the room, be careful oftemperature changes in his environment. That can definitely have aneffect on their health.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back