Bunny not eating during bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chino's Mum Mum

Reaction score
Hi All, hope everyone is well. Apologies for the long essay.
I need some advise as some of you might have experienced this issue.
Chino was a little down and sad a few weeks ago so we decided to get him a friend. I took him to the bunny rescue to pick out a friend for him. After a few speed dates he seemed to be fine with Storm. All the other bunnies he was thumping at or circling or jumping away from them but with Storm he just went straight to her and sat next to her. She also did not move and stayed there next to Chino. So I decided to adopt Storm and brought her home the very same day. Chino and Storm had to share the same carrier which was told will be a good thing as they will find comfort in each other during the car ride home. When we got home I let Chino out as he is free roamed and put Storm in the pen. I cleaned out the pen but did not de-scent it as Chino used to play in it. The next day I took Storm out and let her run around a bit and then let Chino and her play. There was not circling, or fighting. Chino did mount her and nipped some of her fur and she did the same. They did that for a while and I was watching them and video it. I decided to leave them together that night and it was very funny as the Both were scaring each other. The next morning I found them grooming each other so o took it as the are bonded and left Storm to free roam with Chino. The problem I have now is that Chino is not eating like he used to. He takes a few nibbles of hay, veggies and maybe about 10 pellets if I'm lucky. His poop is getting smaller and now he runs away everytime Storm come near him. And poor Storm just wants to be with Chino but he keeps running away, like bolting from her. I tried last to put Storm in the pen last night and Chino kept going to the pen do I let her out again. Gave them their evening veggies and pellets and Chino will eat a few nibbles and leave it. Please can you advise if this is normal and what I am doing wrong. I did nake an appointment with the vet for this afternoon and will take both of them in one carrier. I just need some advise if any of you have experienced the same.

It sounds like the bonding may have been too rushed for Chino and he isn't comfortable enough with her to be left 24/7. Because they were unsupervised during that time, there are situations between them that could have occurred that you didn't see, that have now left him nervous and uncomfortable around her.

If he's now not eating well when she's around him, they need to be kept separate and bonding attempts stopped until he's eating normally and acting more himself for several days, minimum. Then once he seems happier and more settled with her presence, I would try resuming bonding, but much more gradually this time. Starting with short sessions each day in a neutral space, to give him time to get used to her. Then increase their time from there as he shows being more comfortable with her around.

The only reason I can see that separating wouldn't be good, is if he acts more stressed being separated from her. But then you'll need to figure out the eating issue, to the point of doing regular syringe feeds if needed(done properly as advised by your vet), to keep his digestive system moving until his eating on his own returns to normal

But for now, if separating them doesn't get him back to eating normally immediately, then he definitely does need being checked by a knowledgeable rabbit vet, as the stress from bonding may have slowed his digestion to the point that he'll need the proper meds to help prevent full GI stasis from setting in. A rabbit not eating sufficiently for more than 12-24 hours; or one showing signs of bloat, diarrhea, deteriorating condition, or other concerning symptoms, needs to be seen by a vet immediately.

https://rabbit.org/veterinarians/
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Gastrointestinal_stasis
https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Bonding_rabbits_together
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-bunnies.html
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

Thank you so much J bun, i will separate them and see 9f he is back to normal or if he goes looking for her. Either way they both are going to the bunny savy vet. I will update once they have seen the vet.

Ok an update, Chino is now eating and a little less stressed. What I did not factor in or even considered, was the fact that my husband got admitted into hospital on an emergency basis the same night that I brought Storm home. This was too much of a change in one night. My husband was discharged from hospital yesterday and Chino was so excited to see him. Last night he ate a little bit of his veggies and today he is eating more hay and veggies. Not the same amount like he used to but more than the last few days. I have really underestimated that bunnies also feel absence like we do. Thankfully both my hubby and bunny are back on the road to recovery. Thank you again. For all the advice.

Back