Bunny not acting Right!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snufflez

Reaction score
I have a male rabbit that is 10 months old and today when I let him out he didnt want to do anything. He would hop a few feet then laydown. All hes doing in his cage is laying down. I do not know what to do as it is 8:49 here and the vet isnt open til morning. I am going to seperate Zues from Gizmo tonite and see if he poops at all. I am also going to monitor his feed and water. If he is not better by 6:00 am tomorrow morning he is going to the vet ASAP. I have told my boyfriend and my parents already and thay havent said anything. And even if they did i dont care as i am the one paying for it. But is there anything else i could do for him?

No idea at all what the problem is? When did you last see him eat, drink, poop and pee? Notice anything unusual? Does he feel cold? Or hot?

Is uncomfortable when he's hopping? Could he have hurt his back?

Is he pressing his tummy flat? That could be a sign of gas.

Definitely keep him warm, calm and hydrated until you get more info.

If you're sure he's not injured, I'd treat for gas, it's often the case and it won't hurt him. He'll need simethicone gas meds, so if you have any GasX or anything, try that every hour for three hours. I give my little guys a quarter of a tab of berry flavored 40 or 60 mtg suspension, but you can't really overdose on the stuff (although too little won't do any good), it's not absorbed by the tissues, it just breaks up gas bubbles.

You can also use baby gas meds, I give my guys a full CC or more every hour for three hours. If it is gas, he'll pop out of it within 12 hours or so. If it goes longer than that, it still could be gas, but something else (like a blockage or GI tract slow down) is causing it so more action will be required.

Also go for gentle tummy massages, again to break up gas bubbles, or even sit him on top of a vibrating dryer or use a vibrating toothbrush (or um.. something) on his tummy.

If you think he may have not been pooping and is having a bout of stasis, massage in the direction of the anus to try and help stimulate the tract.

You can also keep trying to temp him with wet treats like water soaked parsley. If I wave it in their faces long enough, they get mad and grab it. Although don't worry about force feeding him unless he's missed meals and isn't pooping.

Also if it's gas or stasis, exercise is good (although stress free exercise), but make sure that it's not a skeletal issue or something first.

Let us know how he is!

sas :imsick:

Will he eat? How is he sitting? Is he pressing his belly to the floor? Does his stomach feel a little swollen or unusually doughy? If so he might have a bit of gas. This can be relieved with gentle belly rubs and simethicone (baby gas meds) which can be dosed at 1 mL every few hours.

Also, read this:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=28622&forum_id=10

I know it's easier to see poops if the buns are separated, but it can be very stressful for them. I usually leave mine together and just clean the litterbox frequently and watch them like a hawk.

I do feeel bad for sepaaratign them. but it is the only way i can watch his droppings.. He did pee when in the new cage and he was laying on his tummy. Head up and ears up. But he just does not seem right. I am worried hes sick. I think just to make sure i will bring him to the vet. I will wait a bit and see if he poos.. if he does i will put him back with gizmo. It breaks my heart to see them looking for each other. Separating will not hurt thier bond will it??? i mean they where apart to get nuetered and then back together the following day.. but will this hurt them?

Oh.. and sorry for double posting.. i do not have any gasx or anything like that.. only peptalbismal. sorry for the bad pics but it was on my cell phone... he does seem to be breathing a little heavier then gizmo.. but i could be freaking out so much i htink i see it. I also last week of two ago put carpet in the bottom of the cage.. dont know if that matters

0204092131b.jpg

0204092131a.jpg

Will he eat his normal food? If not that, will he eat a treat?

Can you run to a store and pick up some baby gas meds? I'd try it. It won't hurt and you'd be surprised how well it can work if gas is the only problem.

About the carpet- were they chewing it at all? If so it's possible he has a blockage from it.

Also I see molt lines in his fur- is he shedding really heavily? One of my buns is prone to gas when he is molting. I think his gut just gets slowed down with all the fur in it. He's usually fine as long as I give him some canned pumpkin every day. Fluids + fiber keep the gut running smoothly. If he does start looking uncomfortable, I give him gas meds, rub his tummy, and encourage him to run. In an hour or two he's usually fine and then I just up his pumpkin for the day.

I do not see him shedding as much. The stores are closed for the night. I am going stay up a little later tonight and see if he poops if not i am calling the vet when they open first thing in the morning. I am worried. His guts didnt seem bubbly like it would be if we have a tummy ache. He does not eat treats.. i have tried to feed them to him before and he doesnt want them. He does eat some rabbit treat thing that is in a stick form... kinda of like a Vitacraft Rabbit HOney stick. Should i put that in there and see if he eats it?

even though stores sell treats (vitacraft)like that for rabbits ..they really are not good for them
the only point in givng him that would be to see if he will eat anything...

do you ever give your rabbit greens.? (like parlsey ,kale, cilantro ) etc.

that would be something that most rabbits like but only if he has had them in the past.

Can't you go to adrugstore and get some baby liquid gas x or infant mylicon ?

My rabbits get the look that you are describingnow and then and after I give them about 1cc of simethicone they come right out of it. '
Whatdoes your rabbit usually eat in a day?

They get unlimited amout of pellets and a hay rack full of hay.. they never had greens as they where barn rabbits before i brought them to my parents.

as long as they have hay and pellets that's fine but in adulthood he doesn't need unlimited pellets....
Why don't you give him a little piece of a treat just to see if he'll eat

also is he acting any different than previously.????

Well..good news.. he pooped and peed. I have a question still.. should i still keep him separated and take him to the vet tomorroe\w?

:)glad of that
I would keep him separated ( like next to his companion but not with) so that you can see if he has normal poops during the night.

then I would base yourdecision on calling the vet on whether he is behaving totally normal, whether he is pooping and peeing normal and whether he looks totally like his usual self and has his usual appetite

If he still seem 'off"I would take him to the vet

if everything looks totally normalI would wait and see...

actually, can you let both of them out and see if he runs around a bit? And then let them back in together? My guys get 'off' when they're molting as well. I really think you need the canned pumpkin, some exercise and maybe put a bit of juice in a second crock of water to get him drinking more.

If he's pooping and peeing, and he's not straining to pee or anything like that, he could just have a tummy ache and gas from the hair. You can't tell much by feeling the abdomen unless you have a good handle on how it usually feels before and after meals, etc. Ditto with listening to his tummy -- sometimes you can hear unusually loud gurgling, sometimes not.

I think you just have to see how he is tomorrow. I think you'll find he's eating and acting more perky. Then just keep giving him pumpkin, he should be fine.

If he still seems lethargic at the time of day tomorrow he's usually active, and he's still not eating by mid-day, I'd take him in.

But I bet he'll be fine. Just get him moving a little tonight.

sas :bunnydance:

well my boyfriend says he thinks he has a tummy ache.. he keeps changing positions to lay. they look like normal poops but i guess we will see

Ah, I didn't see AngieLuv's post, but I do agree you have to monitor his poop and pee. Although you also have to keep him warm. Are his ears cold? That might be a reason to let him back with his mate, although they don't always cuddle when one isn't well. It's a bit of a toss-up there.

If he's shifting positions, that's a classic gas symptom, so yup, get him moving and give him tummy rubs. That's the main thing. And keep him warm.

Gas attacks (causing the tummy ache) always look bad, but they're over quickly.

sas :bunnydance:

If he has a tummyache, I would suggest holding him with a lightly heated (dryer, microwave) towel under him. Sometimes that helps.

Also UNLIMITED pellets? you should limit those and give them all the hay they want.

They will probably be fed a half a cup of pelets a day now. And He is eaating and drinking now. He seems perkier this morning already at three am. I am not going to take him in today. If he acts like that again... away he goes to teh vet

Latest posts

Back