Bunny Neuter Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeatherMarie

Reaction score
I got my baby FatFace neutered a few weeks before the storm and put him back in with his Mama and the Patchy (his babies' momma) and he's been going at the both of them like crazy. Is this normal? How sure is it that the neutering took?

After they take the testicles out of the sacks, it's final. The only thing to consider is that males can have live sperm in their system for up to a few months after a neuter, that's why it's advised to wait at least a month or two before introducing him back to an intact female. A neutered male who has live sperm in his system can impregnate an intact doe if put together too soon.

Mounting is a normal part of dominance, so that could be it. Take a few months for the hormones to die down as well, so he's probably still hormonal.

Are the other two fixed?

I'm glad you asked this because I need a refresher myself. Elmer Fudd was neutered recently and he HATES being alone. I have a spayed mini rex doe here that eventually I'd like to introduce him to, but between him being newly done and her being newly done (no baby worries I know) but I want to make sure both heal well seperately before trying anything. I just dont know how long to wait in this situation.

We generally wait two weeks after a spay to allow for healing before attempting a bunny date. I'm sure Elmer Fudd would be healed up enough after two weeks, however his hormone level will likely still be high. The last male we had neutered took about a month before his lust for my arm wore off.

How long do you think a female needs to wait, being kept from a male after she's been spayed? If he mounts her... is there a possibility of damaging her internally if things were to happen?

I am supposing it's slightly quicker for a male to recoup than a female, though I'm not really sure.

I waited about 3 days before putting him in the cage with her, he was getting ancy and lonely (they were side by side so they still played a bit). It's been about a month now though, so I suppose we'll just have to see if FattyFace had any live sperm left. *cross fingers* oh gracious i hope not. Thanks for your answers! I was concerned he might not know he was neutered :) So will his mounting go on forever for dominance or will that subside as well?

Back