Bunny myths

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaityMac

Reaction score
i just found out that if you give your bunny pineaple juice it will help them not throw up hair balls then come to find out that that is myth and i just went out and got pineaple juice for my bunnies!!<br>

Bunnies cannot throw up.
I give my bun, Mallory, a sugar free papaya tablet daily to help pass any "hairballs" he may have. Morgan doesn't like the papaya tablet, but he hasn't had any problems with "hairballs".
You are free to drink the pineapple juice yourself though:sunshine:.
- Amy

About 5 yrs ago vets used to prescribe it as a light laxitive (juice from a real pinaple, not pineale juice with additives.......) I've been told that they stopped because if it spilt arround the buns neck when being seringe fed it was bad for their skin & amp; fur. don't know if that's true, just what i've heard.

Actually, neither pineapple juice nor papaya work to dissolve "hairballs" or other stomach/intestinal blockages.  It's a very popular myth that even some vets still subscribe to.  That doesn't mean that papaya treats are bad,just that they are only treats.;)
What actually helps with hairballs/blockages and many other intestinal issues is good grass hay, and lots of it.  A good quality, high fiber pellet (at least 18% fiber) is also very important.  Hydration is important as the blockages sometimesget dehydrated and hard, making it more difficult to push them through the intestines.  So wet veggies and extra fluids can help a rabbit that is molting or having a GI stasis/"hairball"problem.  Canned pumpkin is a popular rabbit treat thatprovides fluids and fiber, and can be easily syringe-fed to a sickrabbit.

Latest posts

Back