Bunny Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over here, I've never had to bring in my pet when I needed revolution/advantage. I believe I've gone to about 4 Vets about flea treatment (To see who was the cheapest =P )- and none of the clinics require that I bring in my animal.

I applied the oil once every day for 3 days then again once a day for 3 days week later. I very gently rub her ear with Q-tips allowing some oil to go into her ear. The crusty came off the first day just a bit, the 2nd day they were 50% gone and the 3rd day completely gone. She was the only one to get them for whatever reason and there have been no signs of them returning so far. Like I said it is very messy and leaves the bun covered in oil all around her ears and neck. She did a very nice job cleaning herself and is now expecting a litter the first week of Feb.

Hi All,

Being me....I have a little different view. While the oils will work by drowning the adult mites, they don't address the eggs. You basically need a pesticide for that. As I think Pam mentioned, the most commonly used product is Ivermectin. It needs to be administered once every 10 days....for at least 3 doses. I have never used Advantage but I have heard of it being used. I have used Revolution. It is by RX only. It depends on the laws of the individual states (and your personal relationship with your vet) as whether it can be acquired without a visit. And here is my little thing....the absolute best product for controlling these type parasites is a variant of Ivermectin that is known as Acarexx. It is certified for kitten use. We have used it successfully in rabbits. It is more expensive than base Ivermectin but it is much more effective and requires only one dosing....that takes care of the adults and any eggs that hatch in the coming weeks. It does not require you to dig debris out of the ears. Each package contains twoampules of product....obviously oneampule per ear. Here is a link to show to your vet if you are interested. http://www.idexx.com/animalhealth/pharmaceuticals/acarexx/

A couple of comments about mites. They can easily pass from rabbit to rabbit....and to you. They are also a prime cause of ear infections and we all know the problems related to ear infections. I do not play with mites. I bring out the big guns. And I would be very cautious about using some of the cheap over the counter products...many contain components that could easily be harmful if ingested.

Randy

okiron wrote:
Haley - Though it requires a prescription, you do not have to bring your animal in to buy them. I go to a local vet to buy my revolution and they've never seen any of my animals.
As Randy mentioned, it depends on what the laws of your state are so I would call your vet and ask. My vet give me any medictions without a visit and we have a great relationship. Im sure theyre just being very cautious, which is fine by me.

Back