Bunny Mites

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oops! didn't realise my first post came out empty..

i'm not sure where to get mineral oil either, but i've read that olive oil can be used to treat ear mites too. 1 drop per ear..

Bo B Bunny wrote:
You can use that???

Oils (mineral, baby, vegetable) are safe and commonly used treatments for ear miteswhich loosen the crusty material in the ear and kill the mites.

Can be messy and may not be effective in all cases. I prefer Ivermectin. There are also ear mite oils on the market that contain anti-parasitics.

Pam

Bo B Bunny wrote:
I can't imagine putting anything in my rabbits' ears. I would be too afraid!!!

Most people just rub a little in the ear with their finger - it's really not scary ;)

Pam

I just recently treated my Blackie for ear mites using olive oil ( all i had on hand at the time) She was cleared up in 3 days and she was really bad. I repeated again at the 2 week mark just to make sure they were taken care of.It does make a mess so as Pam has stated in my thread about the mites do not use oil close to a show.

mineral oil + a little fragrance = baby oil.

I haven't used it on bunny ears, just scent glands (eeewwww).

At Walgreens mineral oil is located where the metamucil and laxatives are. Very bottom shelf in clear bottles :p

I like revolution for ear mites although you have to see a vet for an rx. Really, you dont want mess around with ear mites especially with more than one bunny in the household.

Also, Ive read that you should not remove any of the crustiness around the ear because its very painful for the rabbit (even though its tempting). If treated properly it will come off on its own.

Haley - Though it requires a prescription, you do not have to bring your animal in to buy them. I go to a local vet to buy my revolution and they've never seen any of my animals.

i came across this passage in an article:

"Similarly, although mineral oil or topical ointments instilled in the ears are sometimes suggested as treatments for ear mites, they are not effective in the long term, and may make things worse, if there is underlying infection."

i haven't personally encountered ear mites myself, so no comments as to the accuracy of the statement, just thought of sharing it here :p this is the link to the article: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

jil101ca, may i know how often you applied olive oil to Blackie's ears? once every day for 3 days?

okiron wrote:
Haley - Though it requires a prescription, you do not have to bring your animal in to buy them. I go to a local vet to buy my revolution and they've never seen any of my animals.

:?-Okay.

Mostly, vets want to examine the actual parasite before prescribing;).

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
okiron wrote:

:?-Okay.

Mostly, vets want to examine the actual parasite before prescribing;).
Well in my case it's for flea prevention so they wont have a parasite to examine.

Back