Bunny loneliness?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marietta

Reaction score
Up today, all the articles I've read concerning the eternal question, i.e. if a sole rabbit is okay by its own when his humans are not around, concluded in the same answer: No. A rabbit needs A LOT of human company, or else, bunny company from another rabbit.

My professional life is, unfortunately, a busy one, and, because of this I'm away from home a good part of the working day. I'm always havinghuge guilt attacks for this. Plus, whenever on an outing, a part of my brain is stuck to the mental image of Vitto being alone in the house. When I'm at home I dedicate almost all of my time to my bun, who must be one of the most spoilt little buns in the planet. You know, it's the same as with busy human kid parents: the kid can have whatever he/she wants, because of the overworked mom's/dad's guilt syndrome.

Anyway, today I was astonished to read in another forum a member insisting that, not only according to his opinion, but also according to written material he'd read, a rabbit is not unhappy being alone, as a matter of fact, he said that rabbits prefer it this way (some rabbits? for some limited amount of time? he was not specific).

Have you ever read a -serious and trustworthy- article supporting this position?

(Yes, I know it would make me feel better if you did!!!)

Marietta

I struggle with the same issues of our bird demanding continual attention, and the guilt I feel if we have to go out of town for a couple days.

Rabbits are descended from wild European rabbits which live in social communities, so we do know that our domestic rabbitsenjoy social interaction.

However, this doesn't mean that we have to provide companionship 24/7.

Be sure your rabbit has an interesting environment during the day. You can also turn on the TV or radio for audio stimulation.

Then, provide at least 1 hour of social interaction in the evening. Extend free time out of the cage over the weekends.

Pam

Dear Pam,

He's always out of cage. As explained in another thread dealing with the space where our buns live, Vitto lives in my big kitchen (the only totally bunny-proofed and free of furniture-I-mind-chewing room in the house), as a free roam bunny. His cage is there, with the side door open only for him to hop in, eat, poop, pee and hop out.

When I'm at home, i.e. a couple of hours in the morning, before leaving for work and most of the evenings for at least 4 hours before sleepingI'm constantly with Vitto. I cook with him, watch TV with him, play and run with him, so that he can get his daily workout, take him to bed to cuddle with me even more before his nighty-night kiss, I even shower with him hopping aroundin the bathroom, so that I can take advantage even of these 10 mins my shower lasts.

As for the radio (we don't have a TV in the kitchen,we don't like watching TV a lot), do you think it will do him good when we're away? Won't he mind the presence of the sound or is this a form of company for him? In the affirmative, what programs should I choose? I mean a talk show, people talkingwould be best or just plain music? And what kind of music? - I must tell you, now that I mention music,that Vitto has preferences, i.e. he hates rock, punk and all the music with drums and loves classical piano and lounge music. Believe it or not he does!!!!

Marietta

I really think that your rabbit is receiving the ultimate house bunny lifestyle with plenty of stimulating activities and social interaction.

I'd choose programs that the bunny enjoys. Soothing programs have a more relaxing, comforting effect on the animals.

My son, Matthew, puts on cartoons for his bird ;) We play country western music for the rabbits.

Pam

I keep a radio on around the rabbits during the day. Kind of a mix of easy listening and talk. (I'm not big on the heavy rock or punk either!) One thing I've noticed is that they do not startle easily from the sound of voices around them. Makes it easier on them when we go to shows or I have 4-H or Girls/Boy Scouts around them.

Mine have a radio out in the shed. I know a lot of people that do this so their rabbits are happier around noise at shows.

I did have a rabbit that loved james Bond and Startrek belive it or not and hated chick flicks lol ( they would get the bunny butt!!)

It sounds like he has an amazing life with you :D

I think Vitto must be loving his life with all that attention!

I think many bunnies can be perfectly happy being alone with a caring, attentive owner. Or living single but able to see rabbits in other cages. But they are all individuals, and what is good for one won't always be good for all the others. For example, my 2 lb terror Mocha was desperately lonely as an only bunny getting similar attention as Vitto does minus the free roaming. I'd spend hours with her every morning and evening and she was still obviously lonely. But she was just a baby and I didn't want any trouble, so I waited until she was old enough, spayed her, then waited a month for her to heal. Then I adopted a neutered boyfriend for her whom she adores.

Of course, she is very territorial and hates all other rabbits but him, and I have to keep the adjoining wall between her pen and the other rabbits' pens covered so she doesn't get upset. She will literally wear herself out by giving the evil eye to the other rabbits, and smacking the cage wall if they get too close (or Loki if she thinks he's flirting).

Another note- some rabbits like having stuffed animal friends. Make sure there are no removable eyes or other small pieces, toys meant for babies work well.

In Norway many people seem to prefer keeping rabbits alone, and there's a lot of false information around.
The people working with animal welfare, keep recommending keeping sisters or brothers together, and few mentions neutering so many such "pairings" end in fights, particularly with the boys:?
Me myself has 3 single rabbits, but I try to make sure they get at least some social interaction as the girls (who really can't stand each other) live side-by side so they can still smell each other. The male lives indoors all by himself (accompanied by two plush toys:p) and I can't help but feel sorry for him...but since he's not neutered, I can't take any of the girls indoors to keep him company, besides that would leave the other one out in the cold alone:(

So there's a dilemma...particlarly for breeders who can't neuter all their animals.
Yet I know many chose to let them have a shared hayrack, so they can still see each other:D I plan on making one of these, when all three rabbits get to live "together" in the barn. Mine definitely seem a lot happier when they have a neighbors, even if they aren't necessarily living together.
I still hope to get Sasuke neutered and bond him with Zakura though, since I so want a pair of bonded house rabbits:biggrin2: (Though I plan to breed Sasuke first, so Aroma will be accompanied with his and her young when that time comes:D)

The "reasoning" some Norwegians seem to have to keep rabbits separate is that they aren't strictly "pack-animals" but rather "colony-animals" so yeah, they are social, but not as social as say guinea pigs, who most of the time can live together even un-neutered (sows mostly...boars may fight if there's other sows around)
But a lonely rabbit isn't a too happy rabbit in my opinion, and I would love to keep them together when or if I get them all done.

I've struggled with this since Peanut's death; while I am quite certain that this isn't the time for another rabbit, it's hard to know that Rex is alone for much of the day. I'm certainly much more attentive now to his potential boredom, than I would have been when he had another rabbit to socialize with.

While I don't think solitary living is the ideal, I do think that it can work and that bunnies can really be happy on their own. For Rex's sake he needs a lot of room to run and explore. He needs an environment that offers a lot to do; I change out his toys when I see that he's getting bored, and add new boxes or chew toys when he needs something more to do. And most of all whenever I can, I spend time with him. Just talking to him while I'm puttering around my room makes him more relaxed. I think the right balance comes from him being able to be occupied by himself in his own space, and having interaction with others at intervals throughout the day.

naturestee wrote:
Another note- some rabbits like having stuffed animal friends. Make sure there are no removable eyes or other small pieces, toys meant for babies work well.
This is a great idea. After Peanut died, I gave Rex a stuffed dog (per Haley's suggestion) and he loves it, snuggling with it and grooming it as though it were a companion.

It sounds to me like Vitto is a happy bun.
Keep in mind, some buns prefer to be solitary (for example, mine, who refuse to bond with eachother.)
Also, remember that rabbits are most active at dusk and dawn, when you're home.
In short, don't feel guilty. Your bun seems quite spoiled.

Hi, Missyscove! You are right that some bunnies are more solitary than others. My previous bun (whom I sadly lost to multiple pasteurellosis abscesses 3.5 years ago because no vet in Athens knew how to operate and remove the enclosed abscesses...) used to clearly show us that he wanted to be left alone, in the most part of the day. Vitto is completely the opposite. He's a big hugger and kisser and it extremely interest in interacting with us (my hubby and me).

So, the question is how can one really know if the rabbit is happy when left alone or not..if he's bored or not.

You tell me about dask and down activity!!! Vitto is active by his nature (he's a dwarf hotot) and goes non-stop during these hours of the day. Running like a mini-jet back and forth in the corridors, hoping, climbing, playing, binkying, you name it. On the other hand, at around 09.30-10.30 in the morning, after having eaten his pellets and his morning veggies, with his little tummy full, he does a nice bunny flop near the balcony door and goes to sleep on the spot!

M.e., I've tried stuffed animals of all kinds and sizes in the past. He's completely dissinterested. When I place a stuffed bunny (I have a small, white one) near Vitto, I get THE look back, like "Are you kidding me??? Do you REALLY think I'm stupid enough NOT to see this is a fake-toy-wabbit???? `jeezzzz!!!". He skips the eye rolling, though!

Marietta

Latest posts

Back