Bunny Labor problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonbonandJujubee

Reaction score
My Holland lop has been in Labor for over an hour now and hasn't delivered any kits. I'm getting worried and wondering if anyone has any advice? She has had a few litters and many of the babies died, I'm pretty sure some of them were fetal giants so I watched her diet while she was pregnant. If she doesn't have the first baby soon could the others be affected by that?

there is a chance that it will be an unsuccessful litter but it can happen. my vet told me that some rabbits can take up to 5 hours to give birth, my rabbit gave birth in under 35 minutes nither of those cases are common, it is common for a rabbit to have a few kits then wait and be fine a few hours then go back into labor. If she will let you try to see if there is blood and also see if she will let you rub her tummy, that might help but be very gentle.
this might help. https://www.cuteness.com/article/rabbit-labor

Calcium deficit can cause problems at giving birth, you can offer her a Tums, fruit flavoured is said to be accepted well. I made cookies from oatmeal, pellets and ground up egg shells (coffee blender) for that purpose. It can't do any harm, they need a lot of calcium at that time.

Also, lavender and parsley are said to help with labour.

She had 3 fetal giants. I checked on her again today and saw the third one stuck in her vagina. I had to help her carefully remove it because she wasn't pushing. I'll get some kale, hopefully she doesn't have anymore babies in her but if she does I would like to get them out soon. I've been really worried about her but after that baby was removed she was eating and jumping around, I'm keeping a close eye on her. If anything changes for worse I'm taking her to the vet.

Thank you for replying to me, I was really worried this time because she was really having a hard time delivering them. I don't know why she has such big babies, I'm thinking I will have her spayed soon so I don't have to worry about future complications.

She had 3 fetal giants. I checked on her again today and saw the third one stuck in her vagina. I had to help her carefully remove it because she wasn't pushing. I'll get some kale, hopefully she doesn't have anymore babies in her but if she does I would like to get them out soon. I've been really worried about her but after that baby was removed she was eating and jumping around, I'm keeping a close eye on her. If anything changes for worse I'm taking her to the vet.

Thank you for replying to me, I was really worried this time because she was really having a hard time delivering them. I don't know why she has such big babies, I'm thinking I will have her spayed soon so I don't have to worry about future complications.
I am so sorry, you did your best.

Latest posts

Back