Bunny is terrified of harness!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pastill

Reaction score
Hello
My baby dutch is around 2 months or a bit more (I'm not really sure since I've adopted him) and he's a really energetic and curious boy yet friendly.
I've once tried to put on a harness to get him out for a walk, so I calmed him down and started petting him, and even giving him threats. But as soon as he felt something around his neck (it wasn't tight at all) he started to run like a maniac, screaming and hitting into walls and everything around him and I was really really terrified that he'll hurt himself.
Luckily the harness wasn't fully locked and came off but he was really shocked and became numb for a couple of hours, laying beside me as I was trying to calm him down by petting him. He's really doing fine now and clearly forgot about it but I'm really afraid of ever trying to use a harness again.
Is there any other ways? Is it normal that he was too terrified or did I do anything wrong? He's quite comfortable with me

He's too young to be harnessed. Only certain harnesses are safe anyway. Rabbits don't "go for walks." That isn't how they get exercise. Even those that get used to a harness, typically just graze. They sit and munch on grass, then take a hop or two and munch again. It is actually quite boring and unproductive. The grass can also be a problem. If there is fertilizer or pest control or weed control, that isn't safe for bunny to digest. And, at his age, too much grass could cause digestive issues.

Rabbits typically don't like to be constrained and your's reacted in a way that makes that clear. He is clearly stressed by the idea of being in a harness. Luckily his reaction didn't cause him to break his fragile neck or back.

Take a look here about safer ways to take a rabbit outdoors.

Better to start bonding with your rabbit and make him safe with you. It’s still a baby.

Wait until he get a little older for harness training in a safe area if you want to go out in harness. I only let two of my rabbits go in harness and the third rabbit always run loose without harness, I’m just following close behind and herd the rabbit were I want it to jump. While another rabbit will always stay in yard near the cage when loose.

When you start harness training you take it really slow. Just letting the harness laying loose on the body and let the rabbit know it’s nothing scary and then put it on when he’s safe. This start will take a while until your rabbit feel safe. But you start harness training when the rabbit’s older (4-5 months) and feel more secure with you and the surrounding. Rabbit kits are really jumpy in the beginning but it also depends on personalities.

Because of the traumatizing experience of harness for your bun, I think it will be hard to let him become use with. It can also strain his trust/ bonding with you. So have patience with your baby ^-^

I’ve put my rabbit in a harness and we went out for a walk. It’s pretty weird for a rabbit to actually get outside and go out on a a walk. Chip is just like a dog. He really just got used to the harness right away we got outside. But for your bunny he seems like he doesn’t like it. I think that he thinks he’s getting grabbed by a predator, like a bird. I wouldn’t put him in a harness until he is all grown up.

Like Hermelin said; start slower. You rushed it, even if you didn't mean to.
Just lay it on his back. Give treats. Enough for day 1. Make sure bunny is calm every time before you proceed to a new step, and sitting quietly. The goal is never to get the harness on, its to get it on without them being scared or struggle. Use an H harness (preferably one with a chest strap) they are less restricting and won't feel as weird to wear.
When it's time to tighten the strap, at first just hold it against/around his neck without fastening, a brief moment. Make sure bunny can't run away by holding with your hands around him, not by holding the harness (if being restricted by your hands is scary, you need to start with that instead). Do that a few times and reward with treats every time he doesn't try to move away. Hold it a few seconds if he starts squirming (untill he calms down), but if he really panics you need to go back a few steps instead. Do the same thing with the belly strap. When that is no longer scary, secure the straps and lett bunny lose in a pen with the harness on and treats scattered.
The scary part is usually what comes next - teach bunny it's ok to be held back by the harness. When buny fully accepts being harnessed, and is comfortable wearing it, take the back strap and hold it so he can't move forward. Dont pull, just hold. This is when most get squirmy or fearful, so be ready to use your other hand to calm him and help him understand that he should just be still. Release the harness as soon as he's still. (see why its important that they know how to be restricted by your hands without freaking out?).
When they are fully comfortable with being harnessed, being held back by the harness and moving around with the harness in a well known pen, you can gradually move to less familiar spaces.
But wait with all of this untill he's 3 months at least, just get him used to you and acustomed to his own growing body.

You actually can teach rabbits to walk on a leash..not like a dog but in front of you. You guide with your body position and the leash..when they're really good at it, you both move and stop almost without any visible cues to the people watching. But you start by guiding with your hands to turn, stop ands start and always aim to have a calm and responsive rabbit.
Most rabbits can be harness trained if you take it slowly and start in a familiar environment. Look up rabbit show jumping, they are trained to seek obstacles but they are also taught to walk and halt on a leash, and usually to turn.

I have taught countless rabbits to accept a harness, some has been easy and some has been more fearful in new environments..some responsive and some stubborn..but I have yet to meet one why can not get used to it if I've been consistent and gentle enough.

Pictures of Grey Dawn.. she's still learning.
45434368_1891975134170853_1797468805790695424_n.jpg 39968494_1800347676666933_8479317103701131264_n.jpg 48419022_1959573154077717_5819505674752622592_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back