Bunny is suspected to old Osteoporosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien_8l

Reaction score
Hi everyone..

My 3 and half years old bunny is suspected to old Osteoporosis..about three weeks ago suddenly she couldn't walk on her hind legs..i thought it was e.cuniculi but unfortunately the vet says its Osteoporosis and her chance for improvementis just10%..

3 weeks ago she could at least sit on her both legs but now she hardly can keep her balance..she is losing fur on her legs..but happily she eats alfalfa and drinks water well..

before now ,I'vefed her lettuce,carrots and green vegtebales..which the vet said was not a compelete diet 4my rabbit..

if you guys can help me with your advices & infos i would be very appreciated..

Here is her X-rays..

this is thefirstx-ray..about 3 weeks ago

I took these twox-rays a week ago..

P.S: The vet istreating her with Prednisolone ,Neurobion, Calcium,and Vitamin AD..

Wow, well basically something is going on that's casuing you bunny to reabsorb all the calcium in her bones from her legs, are you feeding her pellets at all? Pellets contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals your bunny needs, unless you are feeding a lot of different veggies that will provide all the nutrients

Violet23 wrote:
Wow, well basically something is going on that's casuing you bunny to reabsorb all the calcium in her bones from her legs, are you feeding her pellets at all? Pellets contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals your bunny needs, unless you are feeding a lot of different veggies that will provide all the nutrients

no..i'm not feeding her pellets..she's just eating alfalfa, carrots, lettuce and some other veggies..i'll buy her if i find some..

i don't know if she's improving or not..now she loses lots of fur when i touch her.:(is it normal??

I'm not sure what to say. I don't know exactly what could be going on, but she is too young to have old-age-related issues. Osteoperosis can have early onset if there are genetic factors. I can't tell much from those x-rays due to the body not being in the same position in both--the bones that might be of a lower density I think are farther away from the imager so I can't be sure it's lower density.

Has her blood been tested for blood counts and chemistry? Has her stool been checked for parasites? They are much more likely. I can't tell if there is something wrong with her spine from the x-rays but sometimes reduced mobility can be related to arthritis in the spine, not osteoperosis. Arthritis usually shows up with spurs on the spines.

Also, osteoperosis is unlikely because bunnies usually have high blood calcium. It's important to have her blood chemistry and electrolytes checked.

tonyshuman wrote:
I'm not sure what to say. I don't know exactly what could be going on, but she is too young to have old-age-related issues. Osteoperosis can have early onset if there are genetic factors. I can't tell much from those x-rays due to the body not being in the same position in both--the bones that might be of a lower density I think are farther away from the imager so I can't be sure it's lower density.

Has her blood been tested for blood counts and chemistry? Has her stool been checked for parasites? They are much more likely. I can't tell if there is something wrong with her spine from the x-rays but sometimes reduced mobility can be related to arthritis in the spine, not osteoperosis. Arthritis usually shows up with spurs on the spines.

Also, osteoperosis is unlikely because bunnies usually have high blood calcium. It's important to have her blood chemistry and electrolytes checked.

thanks tonyshuman.. this is what i really hope .. butvets here are very sure that it's Osteoperosis so they don'ttakeany blood test..though the medicines were not effective and my rabbit is getting worse..after losing fur now she's scarring..:(

but if it's important I will ask the vet to take a blood test from her..

thanks again

Latest posts

Back