Bunny in the Garage?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Me and My Bun

Reaction score
So lately my parents have been wanting to put my bunny in the garage instead of inside.....they do NOT like animals in the house. Is it okay for my angora/dwarf (Woolly Jersey?) rabbit to be in the garage with cars (3 cars)? It does have windows (for light), but where she would be would be dimly lit. I can't change their minds..... Hope that thats okay. Its either garage, or outside (lots of raccoons and opossums) and it get really hot in the summer and cold in the winter so i'd prefer her to be indoors........

Last edited:
I think it would be worse for her to be in the garage than outside. Cars omit a lot of bad fumes and that can be deadly for rabbits especially because they have really sensitive respiratory systems. And she would need light from the sun, it’s not good for them to be in the dark for long periods of time as it can damage their eyes (the same way it would our own). Keeping her outside would be safe as long as you have a raised sealed hutch and run. Maybe see if you could convert your shed into a hutch. Something like this (found on google would be safe, or at least it looks it 🤨). Now if your parents are anything like mine, they’d think that that’s absolutely ridiculous and a waste of space and money, that would be a good time to promote indoor living, as it’s cheaper and saves space, that’s how I got my rabbit indoors.

Attachments

• D1BD3023-1033-454B-85C8-AF8D9F7C7A4A.jpeg
    D1BD3023-1033-454B-85C8-AF8D9F7C7A4A.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 9
I think it would be worse for her to be in the garage than outside. Cars omit a lot of bad fumes and that can be deadly for rabbits especially because they have really sensitive respiratory systems. And she would need light from the sun, it’s not good for them to be in the dark for long periods of time as it can damage their eyes (the same way it would our own). Keeping her outside would be safe as long as you have a raised sealed hutch and run. Maybe see if you could convert your shed into a hutch. Something like this (found on google would be safe, or at least it looks it 🤨). Now if your parents are anything like mine, they’d think that that’s absolutely ridiculous and a waste of space and money, that would be a good time to promote indoor living, as it’s cheaper and saves space, that’s how I got my rabbit indoors.
Many people don't realize how common it is for rabbits to be housed indoors -- and without odor! A browse through the website on indoor housing may help them to "see" what it can be like to house rabbits indoors.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/
Well, that ship has sadly sailed. My parents are convinced to never again have animals indoors. And as to the hutch with the run, we had something like that for our baby chicks, and a raccoon hurt them really really bad! (i won't mention what, cause it'll ruin your day)
Im so worried for my bunny! Thank you for responding! I really appreciate any help!

And as to the hutch with the run, we had something like that for our baby chicks, and a raccoon hurt them really really bad!

A properly built hutch and run would prevent any raccoon (or fox, or dog, etc) from being able to get to them. If a rabbit is to be housed outdoors, a run is necessary for a rabbit because they must be able to exercise. A run properly built will be secure.

It would not be safe to keep your rabbits in the garage if it is an enclosed one, unless it is air conditioned or stays below 85 degrees in the summer heat, which is very unlikely as the outdoor temps combined with hot cars parked in the shut garage, will heat tha garage up to the point that the temperature will be dangerous to your rabbits. Which means they could get heat stroke and die.

Unless you are in a very cool climate where summer temps are mild, an enclosed garage will be too hot to safely keep rabbits in.

It would not be safe to keep your rabbits in the garage if it is an enclosed one, unless it is air conditioned or stays below 85 degrees in the summer heat, which is very unlikely as the outdoor temps combined with hot cars parked in the shut garage, will heat tha garage up to the point that the temperature will be dangerous to your rabbits. Which means they could get heat stroke and die.

Unless you are in a very cool climate where summer temps are mild, an enclosed garage will be too hot to safely keep rabbits in.
It gets (at most) 103 degrees and coldest would be maybe maybe -17. The garage does have heating and cooling. In summer i would probably just put a fan in her hutch and put some ceramic dishes in the freezer to cool her hutch down also. I really hope that's OK. My parents aren't giving me many options.

I think your biggest problem is the garage is used for cars. We have two bunnies living in our garage but we had to not put the car in their because of the fumes. It wouldn’t have been my first choice of housing they are only in there because we have a pair in the house already and they can’t be near each other as smelling other rabbits causes territorial behaviour. We got a light fitted in the garage as the lighting was a problem, the window isn’t really big enough to light up the whole room. We also have a run in the garden which they can use when we are home to supervise so they get some natural light at least once a day.

I don’t know for sure that she would die but I spent a lot of time researching options for our second housing and every post I ever came across said don’t house rabbits in a garage with cars because of carbon monoxide fumes. It’s difficult as I understand your concerns for not wanting them outside either we also went through the same dilemma. I hope it works out what ever you choose :)

I don’t know for sure that she would die but I spent a lot of time researching options for our second housing and every post I ever came across said don’t house rabbits in a garage with cars because of carbon monoxide fumes. It’s difficult as I understand your concerns for not wanting them outside either we also went through the same dilemma. I hope it works out what ever you choose :)
When i tried to tell my mom that there are fumes that are harmful to rabbits she said that they are harmful to humans too. Anyone have any ideas on how i could make her more comfortable in the garage?

When i tried to tell my mom that there are fumes that are harmful to rabbits she said that they are harmful to humans too. Anyone have any ideas on how i could make her more comfortable in the garage?

maybe remodel a part of the garage into a bedroom (with ac and crapet and stuff) you might be able to put an filter or something to keep the toxins out. i would suggest a fan or something. I'm a newbie at this stuff but i can try to help. i would listen to the more experienced folks to really help but that might give you an idea. Good luck!

Yes. The fumes are harmful to humans but humans just walk in and out -- try sleeping in there and you'd have a serious headache by morning. The rabbit is in there 24/7 constantly breathing those fumes. And rabbits have more sensitive respiratory systems. Don't know if a heavy duty air filter would be enough to help.

maybe remodel a part of the garage into a bedroom (with ac and crapet and stuff) you might be able to put an filter or something to keep the toxins out. i would suggest a fan or something. I'm a newbie at this stuff but i can try to help. i would listen to the more experienced folks to really help but that might give you an idea. Good luck!
My parents don't think money should really be spent on animals.....at least MY animal. And @Blue eyes the cars aren't left running in the garage. People don't sit in there with them on.....i just need ideas on how to help her......I just want her to be ok. Maybe I could try convincing them to let her live outside, but that comes with a whole other set of problems....... Her water would freeze and it would probably have to be replaced like 10 times a day in winter. She would also be pretty far from the house if she were outside.......😣

]@Blue eyes[/USER] the cars aren't left running in the garage. People don't sit in there with them on.....i just need ideas on how to help her......I just want her to be ok.
I'm afraid cars emit fumes even when they are turned off.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-headlines/why-your-garage-could-pose-a-health-threat-1.1235704
I don't have any easy answers for you. Perhaps venting the garage in summer and having an air filter machine in the garage. I don't know what or how much of such fumes would be trapped by an air filter. I only know that if a car is simply parked in a garage, the fumes can be harmful to a rabbit -- especially if the rabbit is housed there long term. :confused:

All this would be extremely expensive and if your parents don’t think that it’s suitable for her to have money spent on her, it wouldn’t be a good option. It will be quite hard to have any good set-up, if your parents aren’t willing to cooperate with you, whether the set-up be indoors, outdoors or in the garage. You would need to find a way, to help your parents and have a discussion with them on what they are willing to do and spend. Rabbits can be a fair bit expensive and aren’t as cheap pets as pet stores or advertisements portray them to be.

If the rabbit where to live comfortably outside, it would need:

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/rabbit-housing/outdoor-rabbit-housing/
If the rabbit where to live comfortably in the garage, it would need:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?434799-Can-my-rabbits-live-in-the-garage
If a rabbit where to live comfortable in the house, it would need:

https://www.pdsa.org.uk/taking-care...after-your-pet/rabbits/keeping-indoor-rabbits
In my opinion it is often a lot easier (and cheaper) to care for an indoor rabbit. I would ask your parents for a week (or two) trial indoors
All you would need is: xpen, litterbox, hay, toys and water. During that week, find everything that there is a problem with (smelling litter box = change it more often), and find a solution to the problem.

You are going to need to be very vigilant about ensuring good ventilation then. That means leaving the garage door open for a while after a car is parked in there, to allow time for the carbon monoxide fumes and heat from the car to dissapate, and also allow for cooler air to circulate through. Fresh air is going to work the best for managing this. For an air filter to work you have to make air flow calculations and use a very specific air filter for it to work.

I would suggest getting one of those electronic temperature sensors, where you have a sensor in the garage and the main one in the house showing the temp from the garage sensor. That way you can keep an eye on it and open up the garage and turn some fans on if it starts getting too hot, which can be as low as 80-85 degrees for rabbits, without good airflow.

If you're parents will buy one, I would also suggest a CO detector with a digital readout. That way when it goes off you can see what level the fumes are at and if it's at a harmful level. Short term exposure to levels above 70 ppm can be harmful, and sustained exposure to levels as low as 10-30 ppm can be harmful resulting in permanent neurological problems. If the car driving in and out keeps setting it off, you may need to only plug it in after the car is parked and off, and the garage has a chance to air out.

Do you have a decent basement area with natural light from windows? Would a raised nicely built hutch be an option as bun is safe from nocturnal/diurnal predators and Ohio weather elements? If your bun (baby or teen) is not sp/eutered yet, there's going to be some odor with marking, spraying. Unaltered buns have a stronger urine smell.

When 3 abandoned domestics were captured and gave birth to 16 babies, hubby built indoor quads in our basement. We kept them away from the furnace and made sure no flooding issue would ever occur. They could have daily exercise shifts on indoor/outdoor carpeting in our basement, and hubby provided enrichment areas within their quads. Also making sure sump pump tanks, cords, etc., would not cause a problem with somebun slipping in and drowning.

This is difficult when parents are so dang set on animals not living in the home where it's easy to get your bun,, sit on the couch, and gently stroke your bun for emotional support when it's storming outside. Wait a minute, do your parents have other pets in their home and they are against "your" pet?

In our rescue we've been able to foster/keep and interact with more than 15 indoor sp/eutered buns throughout the years. No One comes into our home and ever mentions an odor. It's easy to see who's off or not feeling well each day if somebun is sitting hunched and not accepting a joint support tab or pc. of romaine and cilantro. Indoor living is best.

Are the garbage bins kept outside or in the garage? You bet, outdoor predators will smell your bun. She probably will live a lot shorter (you can add miserable here) life than if s/he was indoors with you. Indoors is easy to access when you want to hug your bunny!

Let's hope a malicious person will not steal her and mutilate her, kill her, as I've seen plenty of those reports on Facebook and elsewhere. Humans can be vicious to any vulnerable being. A dog may be able to bark, your bunny cannot.

Do you have a rabbit-knowledgeable shelter or rescue within driving distance that you and your parents could visit? Are they willing to? Would they be willing to listen to a foster parent who houses their beloved pets indoors? And see the set-up and see that litter pans are used, and litter pans are cleaned.

I visited an old-tech farm in 2015 and saw multiple outdoor hutches with flies crawling in the pile of feces stuck in the hutch box, and flies buzzing around the water or decrepid-looking tin can food "dish." You house your bun outdoors and cuterebra fly can infest your pet. We experienced a stray bun let go in a park, a mere baby, come in with cuterebra fly. Plus surrendered buns to the shelter came in with a list of fleas, ticks, mites, cuterebra fly...

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Cuterebra/Miyasis_botfly.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/Myiasis/Miyasis_fly.htm

Latest posts

Back