Bunny having mental problems?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummel

Reaction score
Lately Angel is acting weirder than ever.

When I got her she was a very shy bunny. When I had her outside she waseither too scared to walk around or getting so hype she ran through thewhole kitchen like someone is chasing her.

I spent some time with her, babying her and she got a lot less shy.Thats when I started realizing she had problems with some of the otherbunnys. The higher ranking ones. Sometimes she still did that nervousjumping around or running in a circle which annoyed the other bunnysand so they attacked her.

She started loosing weight, she didnt want to give in and be a lowerranking bun and started a lot of fights. One time she gothurtso badly hurt that her ears had holes and her Nose washalfway biten off.

So I took her to the vet..it took a long time for the nose to heal. Itgot infected again and again. Over that time Angel was a singlebunny..and she became like a little puppy. Being really nice with mebut really bitchy with the other bunnies..

Ok..long story..the problem I have now is that Angel acts really weird when she wants out of her cage (basically always)

She trys to push the top of the cage with nose and paws, while she doesthat she is biting her paws and pulling them away. It looks like shesshizophrenic..one part wants to break out and the other keeping herfrom it.

Her paws are not injured so far..I just hope she will stop doing it.

I was wondering if spaying would help with her freakiness..(cant thinkof a better word sry)..or maybe she is lonely and I shoud try to lether life with a small group again?

Or maybe she is really having something like mental problems..? She doesnt seem right in the head sometimes..:?

Anyway..here is the video:

excuse me pronouncing her name german in the videobtw.;)..many english words are germanized here.

Emi

Dill does that, or something like that, whenhe's stressed -- and he's a very grounded,well-adjusted,outgoing little bunny, at least in the humanworld. (I can't say where he fits in with the warren becausehe doesn't think he's a bunny,he ignores all the otherrabbits, except for his ownpet bunny, Sherry).

But if Ihold him, and I think if Itry to cage him(he really can't be caged, he goes nuts), he starts chewing on hisfeet, legs or chest. (He'll also take a chunk out of mynearest body part).

Given free run of the house, though, he greets people at the door, paws at their legs and follows us around like a puppy.

sas :)

I have a doe who seems to have a similar sort ofpersonality, she was very shy and nervous when I first got her, and shewould do all sorts of strange things in her hutch, including runningfrom one side to the other over and over if I was standing near thecage and shoving all her bedding into the middle of the floor, thenback again. She doesn't really get on well with other rabbits either,but I tried pairing her with just one other doe and this workedwonders. She was much calmer, much happier, stopped her strange hutchhabits, and the two have remained best friends ever since! Getting herspayed would probably reduce her urge to fight, so it might be worthgetting that done before you try to reintroduce her to the others. Shedefinitly isn't happy in her cage though, perhaps giving her a roomaway from the other bunnies where she can play on her own might helpcalm her down?
Good luck!

Hi Emi,

Sounds like our Binkie.
She even went through a self-mutilation period until I enlarged her cage.
I think Binkie would like to have the company of another bun, but noneof mine have shown any interest.....mostly ends up in show of agression.

~Jim

Hm..I cant enlarge Angels Cage right now. Usually they all lived in one big stable but since we move they are caged.

Angel never ever attacks me in anyway..she is calm when I have her and hold her or turn her around.

I hope she will get better and one day loose her nervousness..I have her out in the whole house right now. She likes that.

yeah, looks like a bunny who just does not want to be caged :DAny way you can attach a little run to her pen?

I think spaying might help a little. I hope you are able to bring herwith you to the states, I bet she would be a good girl if you have herin a large pen in your new bedroom.

Yes, I bet she's be great in a setup like that!

Will "third" the spay suggestion, too.

Yeah I think I could attach my fence to her cage..she not 100% clean so I just need something to put on the floor.

WhenI am home I can let her all the way out..

Haley

I will try to bring her to the states,she has a very specialpersonality and I really want to help her to become a calm andconfident pet bunny and loose her nervousness.

Back