Bunny has malocclusion (overgrown teeth) Help Please!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smpratte

Reaction score
Hey, I posted almost a year ago when I found that my rabbit gave birth, and one of the bunnies that has grown up unfortunately has malocclusion. I have taken him to the vet multiple times to get his teeth trimmed and cannot continue to pay the fees every 2-3 weeks.

If anyone has any other solutions to trimming teeth besides weekly expensive vet visits please let me know, I am desperate. I have done extensive research online and have seen a few sites recommending clipping the teeth yourself, but have hesitated on that.

Anyway please help I would like to keep this bunny but do not know if I can if I cannot find any other solutions:(

Which teeth are impacted? Perhaps you can consider, if the vet thinks the rabbit is in good health for the procedure, to get the problematic teeth extracted... The procedure should be done by a rabbit savvy vet, however. Depending on which teeth, the bun can live a very comfortable life without them, and without the stress of trims every month.

His front teeth. I had the vet call another vet since the first one did not have the equipment to remove the teeth. The other did and was going to set up an appointment but was not sure if I had to get the back teeth trimmed after his front ones are removed. Basically I didn't want to pay for another procedure that puts me in the same position :(

What kind of a diet is he on? Its easier to keep the molars in check with the right diet.

Has he had to have his molars done yet at all?

They don't recommend self-trimming. The old way was to clip them with a tool like a wire snipper, but now the preferred method is to use a Dremel tool. You could probably be taught how to do that, but you'd have to be very careful.

IMO, if it comes down to having to rehome or put down a rabbit, self-trimming is certainly preferable. I'm not sure what kind of damage can be done other than the cracked tooth and compromised roots and whether those things make removal ultimately more difficult, I'd like to hear more about that.

The removal may be a better option, depending on your situation.

sas :?

I too do not recommend doing it yourself. Even experienced people have had the tooth break off below the gum line by doing that.

It is possible that a single trim will fix the problem for life; but this is rare and unlikely. Removal of the teeth may be best in the long run.

It sounds like you currently only get the front teeth trimmed, not the back teeth. Is that correct? If it is, then there's no reason that removing the front teeth would mean that you have to have the back teeth trimmed. If all the teeth need regular trimming, then to eliminate the constant trimmings needed, you'd have to have all the teeth removed.

Are the bottom ones overlapping the top ones? You can have the vet clip the bottom ones back, almost to the gum line. Then trim the top ones back a little bit. This could cause the teeth to grow back normal. Where the top overlaps the bottom. you *can* learn to trim them yourself. Your only other option is to have them removed. However, that may affect how the rabbit would be able to eat.

In my experience bunnies that have their front teeth removed due to malocclusion do not have any problems eating. Their back molars do most of the chewing. There are two at the rescue without front teeth. If bunny needs frequent trimmings at the vet that you cannot afford then your best option would be to have the vet pull them.

Thank you for the help, I am actually going to get his front one's pulled sometime next week. His diet is oxbow pellets with hay and a lot of wood to chew on.

Does anyone know if the molars will still have to be trimmed after the procedure of removing the front teeth? If so how often will this have to happen, an estimate if possible.

I am unsure as to whether you stated that your rabbit has had his molars trimmed previously or only his incisors ?

If his overgrown incisors (front and peg teeth) are affectingthe ability of his molars to grind correctly then removing the incisors may help a problem with the molars overgrowing
But there is also the chance that his molars are also abnormal which would mean that they also would need to be filed down regularly .
You need to get full mouth x rays on your rabbit to assess the whole mouth.
I had a rabbit with abnormal incisors and molars ; he is gone now (RIP Beau) and for many years he needed his whole mouth filed in addition to having many diseased molars removed.

You need to seek out someone very experienced with rabbit teeth ; I had an animal dentist from a university vet school who also did exotics .
These procedures are costly but it needs to be done correctly or the rabbit will suffer.

Latest posts

Back