Bunny has a scab(?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubblethebun

Reaction score
Hi! My bun has a hard little what feels like a scab on him. It’s between his shoulder blades right under his neck (on the back). I can’t really see it. But i noticed it when i first got him. Is it a dry patch? Any ideas?

You probably want to take it to be checked out by a rabbit savvy vet. That's the typical location and appearance of bot fly larvae under the skin, Look it up online. Don't squeeze it or play with it either, if it is what it sounds like, the larvae release a toxin that is dangerous to rabbits if overly disturbed! How long has he had it!

You probably want to take it to be checked out by a rabbit savvy vet. That's the typical location and appearance of bot fly larvae under the skin, Look it up online. Don't squeeze it or play with it either, if it is what it sounds like, the larvae release a toxin that is dangerous to rabbits if overly disturbed! How long has he had it!
Oh wow!! I just brought him to the vet 2 weeks ago for a check up and it has been there since then. I would hope they would see it, but i also didn’t think to mention it. He has had it for 3 weeks now! I got him 3 weeks ago. Thank you so much for your reply!! I am going to call the vet tomorrow.

I could certainly be wrong, but I'd always rather be safe than sorry! Good luck!

Oh wow!! I just brought him to the vet 2 weeks ago for a check up and it has been there since then. I would hope they would see it, but i also didn’t think to mention it. He has had it for 3 weeks now! I got him 3 weeks ago. Thank you so much for your reply!! I am going to call the vet tomorrow.
Make sure you ask all questions when you go to the vet. Not sure how all vets are but from my experience, mine will generally check for the basics and not specifics unless asked. After my first vet visit, I learned to make sure I had all questions ready because otherwise I would have to keep coming back. A $100 visit turned into $300 because I kept forgetting to ask my questions after the first time and each time, the receptionist would tell me I would need to bring Trixie in to get looked at.

This may seem an obvious suggestion,but has he had any innoculations previously or recently? sometimes at the site of an injection,a scab forms which persists for quite a while but is harmless.just a thought for you.

This may seem an obvious suggestion,but has he had any innoculations previously or recently? sometimes at the site of an injection,a scab forms which persists for quite a while but is harmless.just a thought for you.
he has not had any vaccines! I got a better look at it today, it looks like a circle of white dry skin. i have a vet appointment scheduled for him a week from today! thank you for your input!

Make sure you ask all questions when you go to the vet. Not sure how all vets are but from my experience, mine will generally check for the basics and not specifics unless asked. After my first vet visit, I learned to make sure I had all questions ready because otherwise I would have to keep coming back. A $100 visit turned into $300 because I kept forgetting to ask my questions after the first time and each time, the receptionist would tell me I would need to bring Trixie in to get looked at.
I wanted to give you an update! I scheduled an appointment for bubble to be seen by his vet a week from today, I got a better look at it today and it really looks like a dry skin patch. so we will see! I really appreciate your input and thank you!

If you got him 3 weeks ago and he was housed with other rabbits before that it could be also just sometimes they bite each other and what you see is just a healing wound. It is hard to say without any picture but it happens quite often.

Here's a video on bot fly larvae, does it look like something similar? Also is your rabbit indoor or outdoor, where could he get it

That would be a typical spot for mites, if the skin looks scaly, or when there's dandruf that would be my bet. But that nomally isn't one hard spot.
Otherwise, if it's just a single scale a bite mark is possible, can't tell anything about bot flies.

Last edited:
Hope something like prescribed ointment can help him! Keep us updated!
@zuppa deff not flybot larvae after i saw that video! it is like a tiny white dry ring that is hard. the bite idea could be it for sure. when I take him to the vet I will be sure to let you all know. thank you everyone SO much!!

Latest posts

Back