Bunny "growl"?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Margalitb

Reaction score
Lately, my 4 month old Netherlands Dwarf buck Oren has been "growling"! He charges forward and makes a quick, low, snorty, squeaky sort of sound, like "Mrrrp!" (This has earned him the middle name Murp) He does this when I put my hands in his kennel while he is in there, so I initially thought it was territorial, but he also does it when we are playing. He will do it to his pine cone that we throw around, for example, right between happy hops, twitches, and flips. He never ever bites or tries to bite.

Does anyone else's bunny do this? Anyone know exactly what it means?

I may be totally off, but I'm thinking that it might be something like my dog's "growling" that he does when we play tug-of-war, etc. (interestingly enough, I have read various animal behaviorists define this as animal laughter!), though it could be for territorial reasons at other times, like when I put my hands in his cage.

It sounds territorial/hormonal to me. Hormones usually kick in around 4-6 months old for Netherland Dwarfs, and this can make them temporarily cage aggressive. Usually the behavior wanes by a year old or so, but having them neutered helps too.

From my own experience and things I've read, when they charge and growl/grunt, they are not happy. They also don't like quick movements so when you're throwing around the pine cones and he charges at them, he's saying he's not impressed by their quick movement. The growling when you put your hand in the cage is sounding like he doesn't want you in there.

Lately, my 4 month old Netherlands Dwarf buck Oren has been "growling"! He charges forward and makes a quick, low, snorty, squeaky sort of sound, like "Mrrrp!" (This has earned him the middle name Murp) He does this when I put my hands in his kennel while he is in there, so I initially thought it was territorial, but he also does it when we are playing. He will do it to his pine cone that we throw around, for example, right between happy hops, twitches, and flips. He never ever bites or tries to bite.

Does anyone else's bunny do this? Anyone know exactly what it means?

I may be totally off, but I'm thinking that it might be something like my dog's "growling" that he does when we play tug-of-war, etc. (interestingly enough, I have read various animal behaviorists define this as animal laughter!), though it could be for territorial reasons at other times, like when I put my hands in his cage.
--this may be a very poor toy,-(pine cones-)-i say this because any-toy,bedding,poopbox,etc-shall not be scented-be it pine,cedar it will cause unexpected medical problems-(they are liver killers)- http://www.medirabbit.com might try fruit tree branches,aspen,douglas fir,etc.--great for chewing on also,--sincerely james waller :happybunny::p:bunnydance::USAflagwaving::pink iris:

Has he been neutered? Does he show signs of affection also? If so then I would say it was hormonal/territorial. My buck bun makes a funny noise when he gets excited around my doe (he's in the vets now for the snip!) it could be excitement, though if he's charging then this could be ruled out. If you aren't planning on breeding I would highly recommend castration, he will be much less frustrated :) I hope it all works out!

:bunnyhug:

He just got neutered on December 3rd. Also, I had no idea that pinecones were no good! I just have one in there for him to roll around and chew on. Darnit! Oh well, thanks for the heads-up! He's not incredibly cuddly, but we smell noses and rub faces sometimes. He is still getting used to being held and petted, though on the rare occasion that calls for a car-ride, he stretches out on my lap and cuddles the whole way (only if I'm not driving, of course.)

From what I've heard, pine cones are safe/acceptable playthings for rabbits as long as they're taken from outside (not store-bought, as those get treated with stuff), pesticides haven't been used on the tree at any point and the pine cones are reasonably clean and are insect free.

I read that untreated pinecones are ok if they are first soaked in a vinegar/water solution (to kill any bugs or mites and perhaps do something with sap?) and then allowed to dry.

Latest posts

Back