Bunny getting spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella's mom

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Hope you and your buns and families are well! We are getting Bella spayed on August 8th. Are there any good links or articles to read about aftercare? We’re going in for a pre op next week and I’m sure they will be telling us a lot of info! Do you guys have any suggestions? My 13 year old daughter is a little nervous for Bella’s surgery!! Any advice in terms of care would be greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot!

This following link has good info. Make sure you are sent home with pain meds(usually meloxicam, min. dose 0.3-0.6mg/kg twice a day) and instructions on what to do if your bun isn't back to eating in the next 12 hours after coming home. I had the best luck getting my buns to eat by offering their usual leafy greens like green leaf or romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro, etc. One rabbit, it's all I could get him to eat for 48 hours, so I just kept offering greens every hour. I've also had to end up syringe feeding a few that wouldn't eat. So just be prepared.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

And have the best rabbit vet possible do the surgery. It can sometimes increase costs, but will also ensure things are done right for best possible outcome. Low cost can sometimes mean less experienced with rabbits(but not always), which means higher risk to me, though doesn't necessarily mean the outcome won't be ok. Having bloodwork done beforehand will increase costs but can also ensure proper kidney and liver function.

This following link has good info. Make sure you are sent home with pain meds(usually meloxicam, min. dose 0.3-0.6mg/kg twice a day) and instructions on what to do if your bun isn't back to eating in the next 12 hours after coming home. I had the best luck getting my buns to eat by offering their usual leafy greens like green leaf or romaine lettuce, parsley, cilantro, etc. One rabbit, it's all I could get him to eat for 48 hours, so I just kept offering greens every hour. I've also had to end up syringe feeding a few that wouldn't eat. So just be prepared.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/opcare.html

And have the best rabbit vet possible do the surgery. It can sometimes increase costs, but will also ensure things are done right for best possible outcome. Low cost can sometimes mean less experienced with rabbits(but not always), which means higher risk to me, though doesn't necessarily mean the outcome won't be ok. Having bloodwork done beforehand will increase costs but can also ensure proper kidney and liver function.

Thank you so very much for your awesome reply and suggestions. I will take a look at your link @JBun . Very appreciative of your message. I will keep greens handy for Bella. I am bringing her in for blood work this coming week. Our vet is awesome and love the hospital/clinic, they are rabbit savvy which is super important to us. Bella will have to stay over night and they will give me pain meds to bring home. I am going to wash out her cage very well and put a nice clean blanket down for Bella when she comes home so she can rest quietly. I was told they are going to put a cone on her. I told my kids for the first 3 days we are staying home with Bella and keeping an eye out on her and to give her the pain meds. Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Back