Bunny...genotypes?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
Correct or incorrect? I'm a bit of a nerd for genetics, like to have them in my files :)

1. Two Buttons - Black Dutch Doe - aaB_C_D_E_Dudu
2. Blue Spook - Blue Dutch Buck - aaB_C_ddE_Dudu
3. Airship Captain - Blue Dutch Buck *sold* - aaB_C_ddE_Dudu
3. Southern Belle - Black Dutch Doe (3x1) - aaB_C_Dd_E_Dudu
4. Clear Bells - Black Dutch Doe (3x1) - aaB_C_Dd_E_Dudu
* On 3 and 4, is the Dd correct, since they are Black carrying the Blue dilute gene?
5. Hops Malt - Tortoise Doe - aaB_C_D_ee *She is a very INTENSE tort
6. Hallow's Eve - Black Self Doe - aaB_C_D_E

Ones I'm pretty much clueless on:
7. Charlie Blue - Gray Charlie Vienna - ???
8. Toe Socks - Blue (?!) Pos. Vienna - ???
*With Toe Socks I suspect her eyes turned brown
9. Mr. Impersonator - Black Vienna - ???
10. Half Dutched - Black Vienna with Gray? - ???

I just have no idea how their genotype would be written up :?

Charlie Blue - Both of his eyes are bright blue:
CharlieBlue1.jpg

CharlieBlue2.jpg

Toe Socks - She has a spot of white on her shoulder and at least three white toe/paws. I got her from a completely different seller, maybe Vienna, maybe not:
ToeSocks.jpg

Mr. Impersonator is on the right, and Half Dutched is on the left. The gray I'm selling so he's not important xD
Bunnies.jpg

Mr. Impersonator - He has a very whitish belly as well.
MrImpersonator.jpg

Half Dutched - Funky graying/stray white going on
HalfDutched.jpg

All of the ones with blue eyes have to be vienna I think. there is no other reasonable eplanation for that. Mr. Impersonator and Half Dutched have white bellies because they have otter coloration as well as being vienna. You can see the rings of whitish color around their eyes as well, so you could say they are "Otter Dutch". Half Dutched looks to be just a baby, and if he is, then that funky stray white hair thing should go away with age.

The Charlie Blue, I have no idea what to tell you. That is one strange colored rabbit, and I have never seen anything like him before. All I can say is he has vienna also, but appears to be a broken pattern rabbit as well.

Toe Socks should not have brown eyes, that is not a good trait to have in blue rabbits. It indicates that they carry the chinchilla gene.

Where did you get all of these rabbits?

A rabbit with just white feet or minimal spots can still be broken. It seems to sometimes happen if you start crossing broken in to solid lines without knowing their background or don't pay attention to good quality patterns. I have a rabbit that is just above being booted. She has white feet and a splotchy white streak going up one side and thats it. Broken is not a clear cut gene.

Much the same with the nearly all white one. It may just be a regular broken with too much white instead of a true charlie. If you don't know the parents it's hard to say. Not sure if a VM or VC could have blue eyes. If it has any dark I don't think it could be a homozygous BEW.

akane wrote:
If you don't know the parents it's hard to say. Not sure if a VM or VC could have blue eyes. If it has any dark I don't think it could be a homozygous BEW.
It wouldn't be a homozyous BEW, but VM's can sometimes have blue eyes. I am not sure why, though.

lelanatty wrote:
All of the ones with blue eyes have to be vienna I think. there is no other reasonable eplanation for that. Mr. Impersonator and Half Dutched have white bellies because they have otter coloration as well as being vienna. You can see the rings of whitish color around their eyes as well, so you could say they are "Otter Dutch". Half Dutched looks to be just a baby, and if he is, then that funky stray white hair thing should go away with age.

The Charlie Blue, I have no idea what to tell you. That is one strange colored rabbit, and I have never seen anything like him before. All I can say is he has vienna also, but appears to be a broken pattern rabbit as well.

Toe Socks should not have brown eyes, that is not a good trait to have in blue rabbits. It indicates that they carry the chinchilla gene.

Where did you get all of these rabbits?

The three-Mr. Impersonator, Half Dutched, and the little gray, are all around 8 weeks old. They have the softest baby coats right now too, I wish they wouldn't shed them!

Charlie Blue and the three little 'uns are all Vienna. On the fence on Toe Socks, I'm just going to have to wait and see what she produces when bred to Charlie. Otherwise she's going to be a pet like my Hops girl. I like having a few pretty does around just for the heck of it, she's a real sweetie too.

I got them all at auction (I'm pretty well known there as a rabbit buyer, gotta go look at some self-blacks a private seller asked me if I was interested in pretty soon). A lot of breeders around here take whatever breeding stock they 'can't get rid of' (i.e, are to impatient to sell properly) to the general-stuff auction on Fridays. I got a really beautiful little single-maned Self Black lionhead doe for a dollar there once. Sold her then as a pet (didn't need her). Another guy sold a LOVELY black Dutch doe, just a beautiful little girl, she went for $2. At the time I had only meat rabbits so I didn't buy her, wish I did now that I have Dutches xD

akane wrote:
A rabbit with just white feet or minimal spots can still be broken. It seems to sometimes happen if you start crossing broken in to solid lines without knowing their background or don't pay attention to good quality patterns. I have a rabbit that is just above being booted. She has white feet and a splotchy white streak going up one side and thats it. Broken is not a clear cut gene.

Much the same with the nearly all white one. It may just be a regular broken with too much white instead of a true charlie. If you don't know the parents it's hard to say. Not sure if a VM or VC could have blue eyes. If it has any dark I don't think it could be a homozygous BEW.

Toe Socks is really a 'mystery girl'. I'm tempted to breed her to Charlie to find out, but I think I'm just going to leave her in the 'pet department' with Hops. I'm not sure Blue is something I want in my BEW lines. Thinking of really sticking to JUST Self-Black and self-black bred rabbits when it comes to producing VM and VC.

Charlie is also pretty curious. He could just have heavy Vienna markings, PLUS regular broken markings, or Vienna + Charlie...it's hard to say!

Latest posts

Back