Bunny friend- to get a second or to not get a second

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlemishLuv

Reaction score
Hello, I'm glad to have found this forum. I've been browsing the past few days and everyone seems very supportive and there is lots of great info here!

I have a 4 month-old Flemish Giant doe. This is my first Flemish, and I have to tell you, I'm in love with her. She is so friendly and sweet! I haven't had a bunny this sweet since the French Lop I had as a girl. :)

My plan was to get two females so they could keep each other company. When I was younger, I always kept females in pairs and never had problems, but many of these were littermates or does of similar age.

I have been reading up on keeping rabbits together and now I'm torn as to if I should get another Flemish or not. I have been talking to a breeder who has a litter of 7 that will be ready to go in a week, so I need to make a decision!

I also have to build another hutch if I will be getting a new bunny, but I have most of the materials already, and will be building it regardless as Clove is getting bigger and will need a bigger hutch soon.

Would love to hear your opinions on keeping rabbits singly or in pairs.

I will keep them separate at first of course, but where they can see and smell each other, but I would really like for them to be able to share a living space. I guess it can come down to individuals, too, so all the planning in the world can't guarantee that Miss Clove will get along with the new bunny, huh?
I have a nice, safe, fully enclosed run inside our fence in the backyard and would like for them to be able to share that as well.

Thanks in advance!

At 4 months of age, she's not fully mature so you can't really know her adult temperament yet. Some people get lucky and are able to bond unneutered females (you don't say whether yours are or will be or not) but in many cases adult females will be moody and fight if they're not spayed.

You can look at it from two perspectives that getting another female now they might be able to form a pseudo-bond while they're still young which might help them to bond properly as they mature (however this can also backfire) or you could wait until your female fully matures, and then you can get another rabbit based on what you feel would be the best match for her personality and then slowly introduce them as adults. Bonding has a higher success rate with neutered rabbits, but even then is not guaranteed with particular bunns.

Yeah, I've been searching out more posts and articles about it and am rethinking it now. I have enough space to keep them separate but near each other, but am thinking about holding off. I may breed her in the future, she comes from a long line of show bunnies, so I may just wait and get a buck if I'm going to need to keep them separated anyway.

My buck/doe pairing has gone wonderfully - I'm lucky that Felix is quite cautious and alert, while Clementine is more laid back and lazy; they really complement each other well and they're always snuggling with each other. If you can find a buck that complements Clove's personality, I think you'd do well with two bunnies. :)

As a side note, she's beautiful! Flemmies are gorgeous - my two are tiny, so it's a completely different side of the rabbit scale! :D

Latest posts

Back