Bunny eyesite

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peapoo_bunny

Reaction score
i was just wondering how good a bunny's eyesiteis? sometimes my bunny runs into things..i dont now if she gets excitedor what. shes run into the wall before....it wasfunny, butreally sad.

Was she going 'full-speed when this happened,peapoo_bunny? I do know that rabbits can (and will) bang into walls,doors, and just about anything else if they are either in a panickedstate or if they are simply running full-tilt and enjoying themselves.As for eyesight...I suspect rabbits' eyesight isn't the best. I knowRaph will sometimes panic and go into his 'on alert' stance if I walkup to his pen without speaking to him...even in full view he doesn'talways seem to be able to see that it's me unless I voice it. Rabbits,being prey animals, most likely depend more upon their other senses -smell and hearing - than on their eyesight. Predators are the animalswho tend to have acute vision in order to see their prey.

Keep an eye on your bunny though, if you suspect there is somethingwrong with her vision....if she is visually impaired you may need tomake sure she won't hurt herself on anything.

no she wasnt at top speed, but she was goinpretty fast. shes gotta go to the vet sometime next month fora checkup..i guess we'll find out then.

I believe they can see more clearly far away.They need to be able to spot birds of prey, etc. And I think it' moreshapes and silhouettes than details.

Pristine does not recognize me when I come homefrom the Humane Society smelling like bunnies with a grocery bag in myhand. And I remember Lenci used to freak out at me when Iwore skirts. She did not like me to wear skirts. Somy observations say that they go more by smell and shape than anythingelse.

Buster and Tucker DO NOT like me wearing myhouse coat. They run and thump, So i'm with Lissa on this one. I thinkthey go by shapes, sounds, and smells.

I know when I first got pregnant, Buster, Tucker and Emma all reacteddiffrently. Emma LOVED and still loves the belly area. niffing andnudging. Buster was intrested, but wouldn't get, and still won't gettoo close. Tucker, who has bonded himself to me, took it the hardest.It took him about 2 months to come around to the different smell I giveoff now. He still nips me a few times a week(little bugger) but it'sbetter than before, when it was a few tmes a day!!!!

So I think it totally has to do with sound smell, and shape.

:monkey:'s!

Good article, Carolyn. I emailed it to a friendof mine, who just got her first bunny today, a rescue of mine that shehad fallen in love with. I sent her another one too, it is prettyinteresting and has taught me a lot about bunny body language. It'scalled "The Language of Lagamorphs" I'll post it here, I have itbookmarked and I like to reference it when one of my bunny kids doessomething wierd. Let me know what you guys think of it.

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk_intro.html

peapoo_bunny wrote:
thanks for the article carolyn!

and thanks to everybody else. sry for all the posts! will try to slowdown, but after this wk i wont be on much b/c classes
If you don't ask you will never know!;)

Back