bunny drinking too much water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
I hope it's okay that I'm making another thread about Tallulah, but this isn't related to her tummy issues and I'm thinking it may get noticed more than if I just asked in her other thread. How much should an approximately 7 month old, 2 1/2 (maybe a bit more) pound Holland Lop be drinking every day? I'm a little concerned because she drinks at least 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) of water every day. I have to refill her glass once in the morning and once at night. She used to have a water bottle and she would drink maybe 3/4 a cup a day, but I was hoping she'd drink more if I gave it to her in a bowl or glass. So I expected her to drink more, but 1 1/2 cups seems like a lot. She's been drinking this much for about a week now, before that she was drinking a little more than a cup every day. She's actually doing well aside from that and hasn't had poopy butt in a week or so and her poops are looking normal.

Many lops will drink more than other rabbits.

Some other reasons may be that she is not getting enough food to satisfy her, we've had buns like that in foster carethat needed extra or it may also be from boredom.

Bo loves his water. I bet he drinks a cup to a cup and a half a day. Tony drinks a lot too but he's bigger.

Many lops will drink more than other rabbits.

My holland lop drinks alot too. Hes about 10/11 weeks old and I fill up his bowl twice a day. He refuses to drink out of a sipper bottle. Oliver (who was a dutch) definately didn't drink as much, even as an adult.

I know I didn't really shed any light on your question, but going from what you described and what Rabbit Hutch stated above, its probably completely normal for hollands to drink in excess when compared to other buns.

3 of our 4 are Hollands. I don't notice any difference with 2 of them compared to our mini rex, but Gingivere definitely consumes MASS quantities of water in comparison. She also urinates more than the others. Her diet and living conditions are exactly the same as the others.

Other than her positive EC titer (and her ocular calcifications), her bloodwork returned normal. The vet did have me monitor her intake over a period of 6 months. Because there was not a significant increase or decrease in her water consumption...but rather she drinks a large amount on a regular basis...he felt that it was not related to any health concern.

She always drank a lot, I just never noticed until we had 2 buns and separated them fora while.

I guess it couldn't hurt to mention it to your vet at your next visit.

~Mary Ellen

Unless there are other symptoms, I wouldn't worry much. I have noticed with my bunnies that some just drink a lot more than others. For instance, my teensy netherland dwarf, Ned, drinks more than my Flemish buck, Sammy, LOL.

Does anyone know any reason that a lop would drink more??

I never knew that...but now that I think of it my only 2lops do drink more but I thought it was because beauhas chronic gum infections and Babette because of her antibiotic.

Back