Bunny Discomfort...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Resources say that an uncomfy rabbit will sit in a hunched position. I assume that this means being able to see the rabbit's front legs (rather than having them hidden/ tucked beneath the body). Am I correct?

I've also read that a rabbit with tummy discomfort might press its stomach to the floor. This body position I can't exactly envision because it sounds the same as a rabbit flopped with its legs stretched to the side or behind the body. In both cases, the stomach usually has full contact with the floor. So I've no idea how to determine if the tummy pressed to the floor is a common or worrisome sign.

Does anyone have any photos that demonstrate either of these two postures?

Thank you,

Jenk

My bunnies will often sit in what you might consider hunched positions when they are making themselves comfortable. They look like a loaf of bread. Sometimes the front paws will be tucked underneath, sometimes not. I haven't been able to tell discomfort from just hunching...for Billy there are many other tell tale signs.

In terms of a gassy uncomfortable Billy, this is what I look for:
1) Staying hunched when I pet him (he usually pushes my hand out of the way with his face or runs away when I pet him)
2) Not wanting to come out of his cage
3) Going back to the hunched position every time I harass him to get up
4) Coming out of his cage and then hunching in his play area instead of playing
5) Straining to poo
6) In general just looking like he wants to sit there and is too sick to respond to me poking at him and annoying him

So, I think it comes down to 1) frequency of hunching and 2) knowing your bunny's personality and knowing when something is "off" about them. I'm sure experts or those with many rabbits and a lot of experience can spot an uncomfortable rabbit just by looking at the way they are sitting, but for me it's not that easy. I always resort to the poking and harrasing bunny method :p

Little Bay Poo wrote:
I always resort to the poking and harrasing bunny method :p
I like that method, too.

Here's what throws me most: Zoe can have loud tummy gurgles (usually detected when my head's pressed against her) and still remain fairly active. Last night, she remained lyingin bed after her cage door wasopened (unusual behavior for her). Butonce I touched her leg, she literally jumped up and flew to her hay manger to eat.

Today, she's pooped, ate/ drank a lot, remained fairly active and is now sleeping on her side. (I've seen her go several days without flopping on her side, which was an indicator that she didn't feel comfy.)

I hate bunny-health mixed signals. :(

Jenk the best way I can describe it to you is that when they are hunched the tummy is on the floor butit looks like their butt is higher than it should be like they are pushing it up inthe air. I have noticed this with any rabbit of mine that has had tummy problems. hope thats of some help. sorry i havent got any pics

:yeahthat:

I'll check for pictures when I get home. I know I have one of Sprite just before she died, but she might have a more relaxed position due to hours of sub-q, meds, massages, and the heating pad.

It's a little different for each rabbit. The best way I can describe it is you get used to how your rabbit looks when it's happy and comfortable, and then you see them sitting different and think "Now that's not right." Loki often sits in the meatloaf position but with his belly pressed down making his rump go up when his tummy hurts. Mocha either does that or sits very very upright and rigid. Like she's trying to be as tall as she can without standing up and she has her muscles tensed.

Latest posts

Back