Bunny Discipline

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avarocks

Reaction score
Okay, so Milo is officially comfortable here at home now and has gotten quite bold. He has also gotten to be quite a handful. I've done quite a bit of bunny proofing, which he is not happy about but he'll deal. He has to, I'm not giving in. My problem right now is that he's a smart little cookie and is able to pass some of the bunny proofing. I'm choosing my battles in this case, if there's nothing that he can harm or that can harm him I just shrug it off. Better he chews up my water bottle case than the furniture right? Okay but that leaves one problem area. Under the couch. This isn't such a problem in itself but at one end is the wall outlet with lots of wires. Milo chewed one of those wires. It was just to a clock, and was only a little bit. It was enough that the clock doesn't work anymore, but the clock was plugged in. Nothing happened, and I'm grateful for that. He could have gotten a shock though and that makes me nervous. He didn't, but he could have. So over the past few days I've tried various things to keep him from under the couch and then when that didn't work, just the little area where the wires are. He passes by all of it. He uses his teeth, his jumping whatever, but he's a smart little cookie and I have yet to outsmart him on this. I also have a sort of playpen thing spread out across the livingroom to keep him from a certain part of it. Long story as to why but it's critical he doesn't go over there. He can't pass it but he has taken to violently shaking the barrier. I have people living below me, if he disrupts them with that noise, my landlord can force me to get rid of him. If I can't make him stop I put him to bed but I don't think that's getting the 'NO' point across to him. I'm physically disabled so I can't just run to wherever he is. So far I have been just working on prevention as much as possible but to an extent it's not working. If anyone has any ideas as to what I can shove under the couch to keep him away from those wires I'd love it. In beside the couch too because he's quickly learning to jump the boxes in front of that space...little monkey! I need some proper bunny discipline that will be humane and effective. I'm not about to do something that would be mean and/or ineffective. He's spent more time in cage in the last couple of days since he's getting more and more bold all the time...and I don't like that, I'd really like him roaming around. He's litter trained so there's really no reason why he can't. He doesn't like it either. He looks right at me and stamps his foot really hard. There's no danger and I know from my own research he's letting me know he's steamed about what's going on. He's barred from certain rooms and areas, and he's not allowed to run around if I am asleep or not home. I must be home and awake, so I can be aware of what he's up to. He's also chewing holes in my clothing and nipping which is another problem. I realize grooming clothing is a sign of love but he's turning some of my favourite clothes into swiss cheese and this mommy is not impressed. He will snuggle, for just a few minutes but he will. But then you pull him away and there's all sorts of holes! Does it when sitting on your lap too and you don't even know it. Look down and the bottom of your shirt looks like swiss cheese. What do you guys do about this stuff? I'm willing to work with him and I won't give up on him or anything but there has to be proper solutions to this stuff.

Sarah

For under the couch or around the couch I used Neat Idea cubes. (like these http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Black-Wire-Storage-Cubes-Set-of-4/5005199) to keep him from going under. Around our end tables where our computer cords are we used a cardboard box and cut it just to size under it so he cannot move it. Took some time but cut a box up then reconstructed the box. We have cardboard next to the TV so he cannot get back there to chew. After about a month of being blocked off he gave up and now finds other stuff to mess with.
As for the clothes chewing the first thing would be to know if he's fixed or not.

No he's not fixed at all...he's the only bunny in the house...in the apartment building actually, so he will remain un-neutered. He is a year and a half old.

neutering does help to calm aggression and such, as well it has him living longer then he would un-neutered. but if thats out of the question then thats fine too. if the NIC grids dont work and become too noisy or something, try using the same idea as one of these beds:

http://www.homelement.com/Bedroom-Furniture/Beds/Osten-Platform-Bed-Cherry-Homelegance-p-1693.html

where the wood goes right to the floor and you can make it so that it goes right back against the wall. of course you would have to have it built to fit your couch. would be maybe 4 pieces. one rectangular piece for the bottom front, 2 L-shaped for the bottom sides and to go up the back on the side, and one rectangular piece to go across the top back (which can act as a shelf). just leave the bottom open and the back open so as the wires dont get pinched and the bottom is just not really needed.

as a buffer between the wood and the floor, just get those felt stick-ons for chairs.

paint the wood in contrast to the couch color or to match your room. i did this once for my parents (school project) and they still use it. i made the back go up higher and made it into a couch shelving unit, where they put pictures and stuff.

it's just a way to bunny-proof with style ^_^

We used cardboard boxes to surround the couch and recliner. We cut the boxes off at 6 inches, so, with the bottom under the couch and chair the bunnies couldn't move them or get under. Any and all wires got triple boxed too. You do have to replace the cardboard from time to time, but it was no big deal.

We used cardboard boxes to surround the couch and recliner. We cut the boxes off at 6 inches, so, with the bottom under the couch and chair the bunnies couldn't move them or get under. Any and all wires got triple boxed too. You do have to replace the cardboard from time to time, but it was no big deal. Learned a long time ago not to wear clothing we really care about around the bunnies unless you like the "vented" look.

I have used boxes also. One thing that works well for me is saying no in a stern voice. It took a long time, but my rabbits know what they are not suppose to be doing. That doesn't really stop them from trying though. But now if they go to eat the carpet, all I have to do is say their name in a normal tone and they run off in this playful run or will pretend they were just licking the floor. My rabbit Chase is horrible about banging on his baby gate. If I say no to her, she will stop. She may start again and I say no again. In the beginning I would say no, move her away from the gate and give her a few toys to play with. I want to say it took years for them to get it. But when they go to dig or eat the carpet and I say no, both of them will stop. Sometimes I have to say it a few times. Sometimes Chase will get mad at me for saying no and will thump at me. It has helped me a ton as I don't have to get up 7080934 times to move them away from the spot they are eating. The only problem with it is, if I am not around to say no, you better believe they are still going to eat it.

Teaching my buns some of those things, though it has helped a ton, took a long time. I have a 3 story place, they can be all the way upstairs and I will be downstairs and I can call them and they will come. That also took a long time, and when they did what I wanted, I gave them a treat.

I would block off what you can and also try to teach your rabbit that when you say no, they need to stop. Again, I think it probably took years for mine to get it. May be they just started to get it when they were older and more relaxed and it really wasn't due to the fact I had been doing it for so long. I am not sure.

I am getting ready to move and I went to Home Depot and bought some plastic wire covers that I am going to cover my wires with. Like I said, when I am not around, they will stille eat whatever they want. I am hoping that will help too and it was pretty cheap. I think it was $1.99 for 10ft.

With the eating your clothes, I would say no once. If it happens again I would say no again and put him down or if you are sitting on the floor, turn your back to him. It will take a lot of time and patience, but I do think he will get it. I would also reward positive behavior. I used a craisin. I would just give one craisin when they performed the behavior I want them to. After they get it down, you can stop with the craisins.

GOod luck, I so know how frustrating it can be.

I have seen a lot of posts about giving them craisins. I went shopping today and bought a whole bag just for him. He does listen to his name, or comes when I tap the floor. He is already 1.5 yrs old so maybe 'no' was taught to him before but when I give him a stern 'no' he does stop. He starts again of course but hey. He's not allowed to just run around when I'm not home. Or asleep. He's confined for those times. I'd have no apartment left if I didn't!

Back