Bunny digging

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judyrabbit

Reaction score
How do u stop a indoor bunny to stop digging indooors I read about a digging box but what do u put inside them

A digging box(cardboard box filled with something like crumpled newspaper) will sometimes work. If it doesn't, if your rabbit is digging the carpet or something like that, all you can do is block access with ceramic tiles, wire panels, or maybe putting a cardboard box there to dig in instead. If it's the litter box your rabbit is digging in, I made a soft pet screen to cover my rabbits litter to prevent digging, and it's also topped with grass hay.

There are lots of things you can put in a dig box. Shred paper and hid thier favorite treats in the box as well. Or put some of their toys or plastic balls or plastic baby keys (toss toys) in the box. Cardboard works too, or you can use a plastic tote and try different things for them to dig in. If you have a place you can put a large tote with a lid, and cut a big circle in the top or end, you can also put some dirt or dirt playground sand mix in their to satisfy the digging. Just make sure there is plenty of room for them to move around in there. It would need to be a sort of tall tote. I've seen pictures of good ones on pinterest.
83a18f470bea828bb6d054a89ae42d43.jpg

Digging can sometimes be a sign of stress and frustration, so in addition to providing rabbit-safe places to dig, it may be helpful to consider if the digging is recreational or is a sign of distress. If it is coming from stress, reducing stress may naturally reduce the digging.

We used a large cat pan and filled it with hand torn newspaper strips. They loved to dig in there, and, our Mini Rex would get in under the paper and move around like a submarine and pop up every now and again like a prairie dog.

Latest posts

Back