Bunny death during neutering.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our feisty spayed 1 yr. old lionhead with the mentality "I'll bite-you-if-I-can" took a chomp outta hub's hand because she smelled unneutered boy's spray on hub's clothing.

I recall my sweet sp/mini rex adopted from the shelter (already spayed by shelter prior to adoption in 2003) chomping down on my sock and foot area when I returned from shelter socialization. She did not like the scent of other strange rabbits on my clothing.

Plus my loving girl bit my fingernail hard and drew blood when I had Papa's urine scent on my hands. 4 y.o .n/ Papa adopted from shelter was in the process of learning better litter box habits. I Eeeeekk'd in a shrill tone and began to sob so my mini-rex gal would know she caused my injury. Her expression of regret after my movie-actress-sobbing remains in my memory.

It is very important to talk to a rabbit-savvy DVM, plus consult with rescues who constantly take in dumped and unwanted rabbits and the rescue groups or individuals can reassure you of successful surgeries.

Attachments

• PhotoCR_JSBGHMILY_SnowBVelvetKisses2014.jpg
    PhotoCR_JSBGHMILY_SnowBVelvetKisses2014.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 5
Thank you all for your replies this week, I have read every one. I have felt so numb and unable to move past my bunny's horrific death and am filled with guilt and remorse that I a) didn't check the vet, even though the I felt the practice was good, like you all have said and b) that I even took him in the first place, thinking I was doing the right thing. Barbara may have it right. See above.
I asked the practice for more detailed information. When I received it, although I am obviously unqualified, it did not read or sit well with me at all. So many questions. I think the problems began with failed IV access, followed by failed ET and V gel tube. And then it got worse but I cant go into the details just yet. I think the whole process should have stopped there, but I am not a vet. Any comments from vets welcome. I would have thought that priority would be to ensure both access and airway and bunny stability before progressing any further. I am heartbroken. I am heartbroken, not just to have lost him, but to think that he suffered in this barbaric way. Barbaric from start to finish.
So, of course you are all correct. Do your homework, find a reputable competent vet and team, ones that don't get their calculations wrong, or mix up their anaesthetic gasses etc and ask yourself if your boy really needs to take this risk.
I am so sorry for all of your losses too, we all know this pain and it cuts deep. I am sending healing to you all. 💜

I'm new to the group and haven't posted yet.

I am so sorry for your loss! 😭 Perhaps his essence may come back to you in the form
of another sweet companion. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you all for your replies this week, I have read every one. I have felt so numb and unable to move past my bunny's horrific death and am filled with guilt and remorse that I a) didn't check the vet, even though the I felt the practice was good, like you all have said and b) that I even took him in the first place, thinking I was doing the right thing. Barbara may have it right. See above.
I asked the practice for more detailed information. When I received it, although I am obviously unqualified, it did not read or sit well with me at all. So many questions. I think the problems began with failed IV access, followed by failed ET and V gel tube. And then it got worse but I cant go into the details just yet. I think the whole process should have stopped there, but I am not a vet. Any comments from vets welcome. I would have thought that priority would be to ensure both access and airway and bunny stability before progressing any further. I am heartbroken. I am heartbroken, not just to have lost him, but to think that he suffered in this barbaric way. Barbaric from start to finish.
So, of course you are all correct. Do your homework, find a reputable competent vet and team, ones that don't get their calculations wrong, or mix up their anaesthetic gasses etc and ask yourself if your boy really needs to take this risk.
I am so sorry for all of your losses too, we all know this pain and it cuts deep. I am sending healing to you all. 💜

@Clem, I've been thinking a lot about this and I'm really struck by how painful it is to go through this experience without a full explanation of what went wrong and why. You need a full account for your own sense of closure and the vet needs it in order to avoid repeating this scenario in the future.

In short, you need answers. I'm not sure how best to approach this. You might ask for an in-person meeting with everyone who was involved in the surgery for an honest evaluation of what occurred and what errors they can identify with the benefit of hindsight. If you are able to arrange such a meeting, I'd strongly suggest you bring along at least one personal advocate (maybe someone with a legal or medical background) who can take notes and make sure that you don't leave without every answer you need for your peace of mind.

Another possibility is to bring your bunny's body to another vet, or even better, to a teaching hospital at a university with a veterinary medicine program, for an independent autopsy.

Whatever you do, I hope you'll give yourself a chance to process your grief. When my friend's beloved dog died suddenly we "sat shiva," which is the Jewish tradition of sitting with the grieving family for a number of days after a death. It really helped my friend to have her grief acknowledged by her friends.

Hoping you find some solace. ❤

You are fortunate. Our little man is spraying a lot.

I'm just happy my boy doesn't reach the tabletop, but my kitchen needs quite frequent cleaning now, in spring....

Any surgery poses a risk, even if it is small, someone is going to win that lottery. I don't see a point in doing an autopsy, doesn't change anything. Better do a good funeral party with cake and candles, I've created my own rituals I stick to when I have to bury one of mine.

I was glad to have necropsies done on the buns who died for various reasons. No reasons to feel guilt that we did something wrong. Often a twisted liver, liver tumor, torn cecum, less than 1/4th normal lung function created by odor-control bedding ingested, provide peace of mind.

Some folks prefer not to know and just move along their way. As educators and collaborating with our rabbit-savvy DVMs, both of us become knowledgeable and are able to provide the best of care.

Clem, we are still grieving the loss of Arnold, so want to send you comfort. Losing a bunny is so very hard.

Latest posts

Back