Bunny Concern Potential Fly Strike?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpicyAzn

Reaction score
IMG_4239.jpg Sorry if I do anything wrong this is my first post on this website but my bunny has had these two little holes in his underbelly (near his testicles) for roughly 4 days now and it has scabbed over twice and he has licked the scab off twice now and I am really worried as it has also been bleeding a little when he licks it off and seems to be getting a bit bigger. I am in no position to go to the vet right now and was wondering if anyone has any idea what it could be (and could potentially ease my anxiety)? I am scared that a fly could have laid eggs in him and it has been 4 days since there has been a first cut. Thanks in advance.

Fly strike is usually fatal in 24 hours and you say its been 4 days soo I think it’s something else but the fact he is bleeding is really not good
You say you can’t go to the vet maybe a ask a rabbit specialized vet to do online visit

Thanks for all your help. I was wondering if bot fly laying larvae would also be a form of flystrike? as i read that fly strike takes longer to develop but since it has been 4 days I assume I am safe from flystrike and it is something else?
I can understand your situation but this hole doesn't look good at all, it is possible that your rabbit's life depends on how fast you can get him to a vet. As in above link bot flies can grow up to 4-6 weeks, here's a short video as well, I hope it's something else but I would really recommend to see a vet asap

If it was flystrike, it's likely your rabbit would already be dead, but that still doesn't rule out the possibility completely. A bot fly is certainly possible if that looks to be like a typical bot fly hole with the accompanying lump under it. And then there is the possibility that it's an infection that has opened up for drainage and now needs daily expressing of pus, proper wound cleaning, and the proper antibiotic. If there isn't an actual hole but it's a wound that won't heal with no sign of infection, then you could be dealing with some sort of tumor. Other than a normal superficial non infected wound, all other possibilities will require a knowledgeable rabbit vet to diagnose and treat.
MediRabbit (flystrike in rabbits)
MediRabbit (botfly in rabbits)
Medirabbit (skin abscesses in rabbits)
MediRabbit (cancer in rabbits)

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

This is most likely a form of fly strike, which is a deadly emergency. Your rabbit needs to be seen by a vet immediately!

As others have said, vets are available in many different ways. Seeing as you live in New Jersey, there should be quite a few vets in the area that allow for drop off (to prevent contact). If you are unable to take your rabbit to a vet because of financial reasons, there are many services online to help you with that and you could even start a GoFundMe to help get it paid for later. Not trying to be rude, but owning a rabbit is not cheap and you should consider health issues popping up before making a commitment.

You mentioned he has had this for 4 days - from the picture provided, it is extremely swollen and clearly the fly larvae is already inside your rabbit. This problem will not solve itself, I cannot urge you enough to take him to a vet today!

This problem will keep getting worse and eventually you will be forced to see a vet or your rabbit will pass away.

I have had personal experience with fly strike, two of my baby bunnies (only about 3 months old) lived outside in summer (Keep in mind... This was before I was a breeder, and the only rabbits I have let live outside). It is caused by a mixture of heat, moisture, and obviously flies. My bonded rabbits had multiple hay mats (which had gotten damp because of a knocked over water bowl) which was the culprit and attracted the flies! One day I noticed my rabbit's were hopping weird, which is obviously a bad sign. I flipped them over to discover something similar to what your rabbit has. It was a gaping hole through the middle of each of their stomachs. They live together, so obviously one got it and it transferred over to her sister bunny. It was on a weekend (typical), so I rushed them to the emergency vet knowing they did not have long to live. A surgery was completeted immediately on both of them, and they were ready to take home within a few hours! The vet told me they did not have long to live, and would have died within a few hours if I had not brought them in. They are now living their best life and have totally recovered! I did have to orally syringe feed them some medication / antibiotics for a few weeks after the surgery. I was young when this happened, but I worked out a deal to pay back the vet in increments because I was not financially stable. This was one of my most expensive vet bills, but keep in mind it was an emergency vet (only one open on weekends, and they charge extra) and for two rabbits, not one. Anyways, hopefully my story can help convince you how big of an issue this is. Every case is different, but it's very possible your rabbit does not have long to live unless a surgery is completed.

Latest posts

Back