Bunny Color Change?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyBug

Reaction score
When i first got Violet, she looked black, except for a tiny, tiny bit of tan behind her ears. now the tans 'spred' and she has a good inch of tan on her ears. and her 'mustatch' has gone dark brown.

i was just out on the back pourch with her and was holding her and looking at the fur on her back(she's got a large blackspot on her lower back.)and it looked almost brown! like a brown that was just one shade off of being black. what do you guys think? is she changing colors? just wondering!

Anna

Genelle was brown and orange when I brought her home. She had very distinctive markings back then. When she started to moult her orange went away for the most part.

Another thought is - perhaps bunnies are like cats? Believe it or not it's very rare to find a TRUE black cat that doesn't have underlying markings or a few stray white hairs (if not a patch itself).

:bunny17:

It could be she is just maturing, and her true color is coming out.

But some black rabbits also turn a brownish color right before they shed. I've had some of my Black Flemish turn brownish down their sides, under their neck and around the face, then they shed it all out. Usually the fur feels stiff and dead right before it sheds.

I find my moulting buns go a strange colour jyust before moult, or slightly change their colouring after moults. When a bun loses it's baby coat, often the adult coat can look slightly different.

Just enjoy the changes :)

Ahhhh, while I was trimming Thumps' nails today, I noticed that his fur is coming in brown...It surprised me.

It is really only in his butt area. Will it go black again or will the rest of his fur follow?

*jackie

I bet it'll go back to black eventually... He's probably going to shed, but it can take a while. (For some reason, I feel like the bucks are worse than the does.) By the way, my blues do the same thing. Sometimes it's so noticable, that I can not show them, fearing a DQ for color! (Brown Barring/shading on a Blue is a DQ... the blue has to be pure blue...)

Edited to add: The blue is genetically a dilute black so that may be why both colors do it...

Yeah, when Macey was a little one she was mostly brown with grey ears and a grey tail an grey around her eyes, now she's just mixed with grey and brown all over. So she changed colors.

Same with my Bracken, at first I thought she was a blue fox but as she got older she started to show tan behind her ears and on her belly, willow at the moment is still looking like a blue fox but bits of tan are starting to show on her belly:)

My previous bun, Pepe (he passed away 3 years ago), who was all black, used to get brown patches, mainly at his back, just before shedding. His furalso used to get occasionally brownish when he was exposed to direct sunlight during summertime (he loved to sit by the balcony door for hours on warm days). Also if you use vinegar for cleaning your bunny's cage and he comes in touch with it or if you've ever used oxygen peroxide for cleaning a wound, these substances, including whatever acid, cause discoloration to dark coloredfurs.

Marietta

They can window fade as they get older dark rabbits but the easiest way to check if he is a black bunny is to blow on his coat and look at his undercolour ( the base of his fur) if its gray he is black if it is cream he is a dark siamese sable.

I wondered for years about Dido caus ehe looked black but when he moulted he could go all brown colours and it wasnt till i started showing on my first stewarding outing there was a bunny in the black section disqualified as it was really a sable

My friend has a mini lop who is black, but when she molts or at certain times of the year she has more dark brown hairs. I checked her undercoat, and it's grey, so maybe it's just how she looks at certain times? Has your bunny gone from black to a very noticeable brown, or has she just lightened a little?

Sorry, I'm not much help.

Rachel.

Our Joy started out all silver as a baby. Later she started to change color in patches over her body until she's almost a salt & pepper color but not dark. Her face took on destinctive markings which were interesting to watch as they progressed.
Both she and her bond mate Love seem to change a little bit in colorand shading. each time they shed

Here Joy is as a baby:

2222815200039632485S600x600Q85.jpg

A soft silver all over, no markings on head.

A few months later:

2920495290039632485S600x600Q85.jpg

Darker areas appearing in back area and on head, patterns starting to form. Distinct dark areas appearing.

A lot of the Agouti Flemish Giants, especially the Light Gray and Steels don't get their adult coloring until they are between 5 and 8 months of age.Some steels aren't even showable (properly colored,as defined by the Standard of Confirmation) until they are considered adults (8 months old).

And some that are "properly colored"as Juniors are too dark or too light as Seniors. Their coat is constantly changing as they grow. Some of the Light Grays don't get their "rings" until they are seniors. (Blow on the fur, you should see "rings" of color on a Light Gray, but not on a Steel or any other color.)

Latest posts

Back