Bunny cleaning habits non existant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a little guy who was probably taken away from his mama too soon and has never cleaned himself very well, particularly his bottom. He's been fighting sludge for quite a while and our vet doesn't want to do surgery yet-hoping we can get it to clear up. SO, he already doesn't clean well, I'm sure is in some pain when urinating and now he has started not eating his cecotropes and they get stuck to his bum. Its quite a mess (not to mention stinky) and I have had to help him by cutting out the mess. My biggest issue is that I never get it completely clean-he of course hates it. What do you all do to clean your bun's bum when needed?

Are the cecotropes coming out normally formed and then getting squished, or are they coming out pasty at all? If they are coming out pasty, then it could be diet related, and if so that can usually be corrected. What's his exact diet like(type and amount of pellets, veggies/fruit, treats, and hay) and has the vet had you alter his diet at all because of the bladder sludge? Is he on any meds for the bladder sludge?

One thing that could help until you get this sorted out is having your vet shave his bottom area so the poop doesn't stick as easily and to make it easier to clean off. A shallow butt bath in warm water can sometimes help soften and loosen the stuck poop, though if you do this you want to dry thoroughly after to make sure flystrike doesn't occur.

JBun thanks for all of your input! I appreciate it.

His Cecotropes do come out normally formed. He eats two daily meals of different types of lettuce, beets or carrots or cucumber. He has access to hay all of the time and does eat quite a bit of it. We have another bun too so it's difficult to know how much each is eating, but they get 1/4 c. of pellets twice a day and also usually a small treat of banana or dried cranberry almost every day. He gets a banana flavored diuretic to increase his water intake but has taken that for over 6 months.
I have a vet tech friend who told me the Oxbox Urinary Support helped her buns from recurring problems. My picky boy would not eat them. But of course my female takes them like a treat. I've been crushing some up and dipping banana in it to try and get it in him. He might get a little but not much. So then I found Sherwood Pet Health Urinary Support which are cranberry flavored. Again, my female takes it like a treat but my boy will not ever lick it. I've been dissovling one of those in their water each day, hoping he gets some in his system.

Something I would consider trying is reducing or cutting out the sugary treats(carrot, beets, banana). Sometimes a diet too rich in carbs can affect a rabbits cecotropes, and can result in excess being left uneaten. Less pellets might even be something to try as well. Less rich food and more fiber from hay is usually the recommended way to clear up cecotrope issues. Though that will also depend on if there is an underlying health issue contributing to the problem, like kidney/liver disease, obesity, arthritis, or for your bun his sludge issues.

Something else you may want to try instead, is if he is in pain from his sludge issues, and this is what is affecting him eating his cecotropes and not diet issues, maybe talk to your vet about daily meloxicam/metacam, if your bun doesn't have any kidney problems. It can help reduce any inflammation and pain, which could help with both the sludge and cecotrope issues.

If that doesn't work, having his butt shaved by the vet may be the only alternative.

Back