Bunny change in behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allie0618

Reaction score
Hello All:

I have a 5 yr old female dwarf rabbit who is spayed. I've had her since she was
2 mo old and she was easily litter trained both with pee and poo. She is
adorable and has friendliest personality of any rabbit I've ever owned.

A few mo ago, however, she started pooping outside her litter boxes. I keep her in a
5'x7' pen that has an open cage inside it. She jumps in and out of the cage at
will. She spends a good part of her day going back and forth between the cage
and her pen. I keep one litter box is in the cage and one in the pen.
Almost a year ago, we moved to a new house. I have a walk-out basement and my
bunny has her pen in my living room. Everything has been fine until about 4 mo
ago. I picked her up and was holding her like I always do and she suddenly
urinated all over me. I put her in her litter box which she jumped right out
of. Since that time, she has done the same thing about 2-3 more times. Can you
tell me what the problem might be?

I have been picking her up less and just sitting in her pen w/her and letting
her come to me. Then I give her a treat and pet her.
Tonight I noticed she peed outside her litter box inside the cage. She has done
this only occasionally since I adopted her.

Can you shed any light on why she may be displaying this sudden behavior of
urinating on me? Also,some suggestionson how I might get her to start
pooping in her box again?

Thank you!
Allie :)

.AOLWebSuite .AOLPicturesFullSizeLink { height: 1px; width: 1px; overflow: hidden; } .AOLWebSuite a {color:blue; text-decoration: underline; cursor: pointer} .AOLWebSuite a.hsSig {cursor: default}

What kind of litter do you use? She may not like a change in litter. Other than that it may be medical.

It very well may be a UTI or bladder problem. I would recommend seeing a rabbit savvy vet to determine if it is a medical issue.

The litter I use is a grain litter. Looks like pellets and won't hurt her if she eats it (which she doesn't. I haven't changed her litter, meaning it's the same one I've been using for over a year. I put hay in the litter boxes to attract her and also scoop her poops back in the boxes. I clean her cage and pen thoroughly each night.

I'm going to call the vet on Monday. He's a great guy who actually starting me adopting bunnies years ago. He used to breed them. He has 40 yrs experience.

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Allie :big wink:

Hi Everyone,

I took Weasie to the vet yesterday. I've known him for 20 yrs. He specializes in rabbit care. He's been treating her since I got her at 8 weeks. So he told me he suspected a urinary tract infection and wanted me to get a urine sample...(THAT was an adventure).
I brought in it today and the vet tech tested it. She said my vet was off today and wouldn't be back till Thursday. She tried to get ahold of him but couldn't. She said she couldn't tell me the results of the test and
none of the other vets in the practive treat rabbits.
What if it was an emergency? She told me there was blood in the urine...she could tell by looking at it. So I'm figuring Weasie DOES have a bladder infection and I'm annoyed that she has to suffer for 2 more days till the vet gets back. If I took her to a different hospital, I'd have to dish out another $50 for an exam.

Not a great system. I'm going to talk to Dr. Randall when he gets back.

Now that I've ranted...Any tips for giving Weasie her medicine with the syringe. I've done it before and sometime she just stops swallowing and it runs out of her mouth. What's the best way to get her to take it. Do you go straight in thru their front teeth? That's what I normally do.

Thanks all,
Allie

When barbie was ill and she refused her meds, i would trick her with a syringe ful of nice things, like banana and apple juice whizzed up then a syringe of the meds.

xxxx

Latest posts

Back