Bunny Cancer

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMom

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new here, although I've had bunnies for the last 7 years. Recently, my 8 year old bunny Jellybean had an enlarged foot. After several vet visits and attempts to get the swelling down, she had a tumor removed from her foot which, sadly, I found out was cancerous. The vet has suggested amputation - amazingly it has been contained just in her back left foot and has not spread anywhere else. Does anyone out there know if there are any kind of alternative treatments for this? Possibly something that could slow there growth of the tumor? Would this be better for her than living with one less foot? She's also had a reaction to the antibiotics where she's laying funny and doesn't stand or hop but pushes herself around. The vet prescribed some new antibiotics and we're waiting to see if that helps.

I'm just heartbroken over this. Cancer is so random and unfair to pick on a sweet little bunny. :(

Welcome to the forum bunnymom, I am sorry that ithas to be for such a sad reason:(. Unfortunatly I am not a bunny guruso I can't offer any help but I did want to let you know how lucky Ithink Jellybean must be to have such a devoted mom as you. I hope thatyour little one has a full and fast recovery. Please keep us updated onJellybeans progress.

Fergi's mom

The amputation is a good choice, but her age is aconcern. There's no right answer in this situation, and thecancer may have actually been spread by the operation as the cells canbe carried through the bloodstream.

Pam

there are certain cancers that it is far betterto remove the limb than to take a chance and remove just thelump. but then you have to consider how that particularanimal will react, will they do well with 3 legs, what is their age, isit better to treat symptoms and let them live as long as they cancomfortably, or is it better to be aggressive and try everythingpossible. You are the onlyone who can answer that as you knowyour bunny best. There are some who do great with 3 legs you'd neverknow it wasmissing, and then there are others that have such a hardtime with it one wonders if they should have just kept them comfortabletill the end. my thoughts are with you and your bun

BunnyMom,

I just read your reply to Cupcake. God, I'm sosorry. I missed this post. You and your baby willcertainly be in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

Thanks, Carolyn. And thanks to everyone for theirhelpful posts. I will let you know how Jellybean progresses. She ate aton of hay and greens last night.:) Let me know how Cupcake is doing.

Jellybean is improving! She's trying desperatelyto hop around, but the bad foot seems to be in the way. She has anappointment next week for a consultation to have the foot amputated. Wewere just waiting to see if she would regain the use of her back legs.Last night I was out doing the laundry and my boyfriend had her out inthe bedroom. He left the room for a minute and when he came back shewas gone - she had hopped under the bed where ahe always likes to hide.I'm so happy to see her doing better. I was worried she had a spinalinjury! What a relief! She's also eating and drinking a lot more andthis morning she was playing with her toys while I was getting readyfor work.:)

As soon as I get my scanner hooked up I'll post some pics. It wouldalso help if I got an assistant at work and I wouldn't have to workthese crazy late hours!

Latest posts

Back