Bunny Breeding - Can't happen!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribble

Reaction score
I have a very small Netherland Dwarf female inside with my lionhead/mini rex mix. The Dwarf is a runt and seems to have a respiratory issue as well just from being so small. I have a firm belief she will not live through a pregnancy, however there may have been an accidental mating.

I have two younger males outside that had a scuffle and one ended up with some nasty bite marks on his back so I kept him inside for a few days and he ended up getting out and totally clearing my girls' 3ft cage! I've always had the top off since the day I got the cage because I feel it made them more restrictive. It should also be noted that I had something covering the top of the boy's box so he couldn't get out but he's always proven himself a handy escape artist.

Anyways, I can't seem to 100% tell if she's pregnant or not, and if she is I need to know how to terminate it. I think we're definitely past the 10-14 day mark, as I waited to try and palpate her. Is there anything I can do that will terminate the pregnancy without necessarily hurting her if she turns out not being pregnant? I'm okay with the other rabbit ending up pregnant because she's a nice size, but the little one I worry so much. She was my first rabbit and she's the best ever and I'd hate to lose her over a stupid mistake. And because the other rabbit may have been bred as well, I have nothing solid to compare any palpation to because the other two girls I have won't allow you to touch them.

Before anyone says anything about spaying, she was not spayed for two reasons: 1) No vet that I know of in the area is comfortable working with rabbits 2) Even if I found someone, the procedure would be very risky because of how small she is and I am not comfortable allowing a vet (who isn't comfortable/hasn't worked with rabbits) do the procedure.

As much as I'd love to help her bring new bunnies into the world, any help not to is greatly needed and appreciated!!!

Only thing to do would be to speak to a rabbit vet about any options you might have, or at least find a vet that can consult with a rabbit savvy vet. Most likely you will just have to wait the 30-35 days to see if anything comes of it. If there were difficulties you would want to have a rabbit savvy vet you could take her to. So I would try and find the best one possible in your circumstances.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If she's pregnant, it's possible she can deliver just fine despite her size. I have a 2 lb dwarf that was pregnant when I got her. She had 5 babies with no issues.

Only thing to do would be to speak to a rabbit vet about any options you might have, or at least find a vet that can consult with a rabbit savvy vet. Most likely you will just have to wait the 30-35 days to see if anything comes of it. If there were difficulties you would want to have a rabbit savvy vet you could take her to. So I would try and find the best one possible in your circumstances.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If she's pregnant, it's possible she can deliver just fine despite her size. I have a 2 lb dwarf that was pregnant when I got her. She had 5 babies with no issues.
Really? She did fine? That's actually quite a relief. The buck is a little bigger than her (he's a Holland lop I believe) and I didn't know if that would cause any complications. I guess I'll wait it out. I do have a friend that breeds the holland lops (where I got my boys from) but I'm not sure how many complications she's run into . . .

Back