Bunny Breed and Ages?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Domino~

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the forum. Around two weeks ago I bought two young rabbits for my mother. She has been living alone for awhile and she has been talking about how she wanted a companion animal but she can't have a cat or a dog. We finally settled on rabbits and this is why I am here.

I went to a pet store after calling them and asking if they had any rabbits in, they told me they had mini lops. I was excited because when I was younger one of my friend's sister had a mini lop and since then I've always wanted one. When I arrived I noticed all the bunnies had erect ears. I suppose this can happen though... I went to a local pet store in my town (since the one i bought the rabbits from was actually in another town) and after telling the lady i had purchased mini lops, she told me that some pet stores will wrongly label mini lops. They are sisters, or are supposed to be sisters. I am going to check again this weekend to make sure.

So i guess what I'm asking is if they really are mini lops, mixed, or just some totally other breed. Oh and I guess I was also wondering if you could maybe guess what age they are? I am currently at college so I can't get more pictures until this weekend. But if you need better ones I'll be sure to get some.

Thank you all.
buns.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

They definitley don't look like Mini Lops too me. Their ears don't really flop down. They look like mixes to me. Their faces also aren't as round as a Mini Lops face; here is a picture of a baby mini lop. See the difference?:

http://www.rabbits-online.co.uk/Sooty%20Fawn%20Mini%20Lop.jpg

As for their age, maybe around 8 weeks? But I could be wrong; they do look really young, though.

They are very cute though!! :inlove:

Emily

If you had a profile of them we can tell if they are really Mini Lops. It seems like they have some sort of Lop mix in them. Usually pet stores sell rabbits at a younger age of less than 8 weeks old, and these guys don't look like they are 8 weeks old.

Good Luck with them! :)

Judging from the picture they look younger than 8 weeks. But don't despair about the ears. My bunny's Magic's ears are only starting to lop now and she is three months old ( she is not a pure breed though) I remember reading somewhere ears lop at around eight weeks (or any time thereafter) They are very cute anyhow

Thank you for all your opinions. I didn't realize they were that young. They have put on some weight since I last took those pictures (those are about two weeks old..) I found and took some more this weekend. Unfortunately I forgot my camera so I had to take them with my phone, they aren't the best of quality.

Kisses seems to keep her ears down more than Hugs. I actually think she might have more ear mobility but I'm not positive.

They are laying in a small kitty litter box, not the standard size.
cuddlebuns.jpg

huggybuns.jpg

She fell asleep in my lap. :)
sleepybun.jpg

This is actually a picture of them about two weeks ago also.
tiredbuns.jpg

The black and white one reminds me of Magic when she was young. I just found a picture of Magic and Miracle when they were seven weeks old and their ears were all up. Magic is the one on the left
DSC_00020.jpg

They are so sweet! I can only guess that the one with the broken coloration is a holland lop cross. However, it may be impossible to tell exactly what is in there, especially when they are so young.

A note of caution--keep an eye out for behavior that might suggest they are not both girls! They are at about the age that the "gender fairy" often strikes and turns one "girl" into a boy. As soon as you see humping, it is probable that they are sexually mature and can have babies, which sounds cute but is a real pain! If that happens, separate them ASAP!!

Cutest little snugglers ever!

lop mixes, i'm guessing at this point their about 10 weeks. good luck with them, they're sooo cute:biggrin2:!

Sabine: Awww Magic and Miracle are so adorable!
If their ears don't lop then that's okay, I'll still love them bunches. I suppose in a few weeks if they haven't, then it's a safe guess that they probably never will...

tonyshuman: The gender fairy? I'm going to hope that little critter doesn't show up. I love baby bunnies but... I don't think I'm ready for any. Spaying/neutering is definitely a possibility in the soon future whether or not they are different genders.

I have to thank you all again for helping me. I suppose it's safe to say that they are lop mixes of some sort...and around 10 weeks now. Thanks everyone!

Magic is such a cutie! Kisses ears seem to do that sometimes too. She is the one with the broken pattern..coloration (I think that's the correct term?)

Latest posts

Back