Bunny bordatella?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaylaLop

Reaction score
Sooo the buns and my dog and I made it cross country safely and with no issue (other than Mumford peeing TONS in the carrier)..

Buut my boyfriend and I adopted a 2nd dog and he has kennel cough (bordatella) and I've read that it can be transmissible to rabbits/guinea pigs/ferrets/etc.

The dog did meet the bunnies briefly a few days before his symptoms started showing up and I've been limiting my time with the bunnies as to not give them anything if I can avoid it. Also been washing my hands/changing clothes before going in there but I know it's airborne so it's kind of difficult to contain.

I know it's similar to pasteurella symptoms so I'm keeping an eye on them for coughing/sneezing/goopy eyes or noses.

Thankfully they're in their own room away from everything but I hope they haven't already contracted it.

Has anyone had experience with their rabbits getting infected with bordatella?

yes. Paterson got it once. He started getting wheezy and they did a nose swab and found a huge chunk of pus in his nose. He had all the signs of a respiratory infection so it didn't take long for them to figure out what it was. He was on meds for about three weeks.

It didn't seem to affect him badly... the wheezing went away after a day. Just be on the lookout for symptoms :)

Here is some information I have researched along with a link to the full article.

Bordetella bronchiseptica germs hang out in the throat and trachea of the rabbit. They like to infect the airway cells that grow the little cilia - tiny waving hairs that help push the gunk, dust, germs and secretions upward and out of the lungs and airways.
This may be why the presence of Bordetella makes other lung infections much worse - possibly because the cilia may not work correctly and the mechanism for cleaning out the lungs gets crippled.

If there’s any season that is more likely that illness from Bordetella in rabbits would occur, it might be when temperatures are cooling in autumn. Reports of seasonality span species and include rabbits, dogs, guinea pigs, and hedgehogs.

http://www.raising-rabbits.com/bordetella-in-rabbits.html

Back