bunny bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotchocolatewithsmarties!!!!!

Reaction score
im sure its a familiar subject but i've just got a new rabbit and in the past when bonding ive let the pair just get used to each others smell etc for a month before i let them loose with one another. i was wondering if im being too cautious in leaving it soo long, if i let them meet say after a week of smelling each other around etc would i be safe?

any suggestions much appreciated, xx

It didn't take my male/female pair very long,
but it took 2 months of cage by cage for my spayed adult female and unspayed young female to get along.
I would wait 2-4 weeks, then give small supervised visits with each other for another 2 weeks until you know they are friendly twoards each other :)

:ponder: personally it would depend on how they were getting along whilst separated. if they seemed relaxed and were not trying to kill each other thru the bars then i would try a meeting after a week. just a short one on neutral territory. it really would depend on the bunnies tho' and whether either were fixed. last january i bonded a neutered buck as new husbun to an older doe, her previous mate had died. for a week they were separated but able to see/smell each other whilst he recovered from his neuter. after this i began short meetings. at night he was shut in a hutch. one morning i came down to find them snuggled together. she had sprung him from jail.;) i was lucky in that they had gotten on from day one.

good luck! x

hi :) its still Dennis but bonnie died a couple of years ago, thats why we've just got a new one (elsie) shes about 7 months andvery timid so i dont think they will fight as he is obviously going to be dominant on the other hand i dont want him to stress her out to much if he keeps trying to mount her, thats why im wondering how cautious i should be? xx

Latest posts

Back