Bunny bonding question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadezhda

Reaction score
So, I got the two boys from the pet store, andthey were living together and happy and all. They get home,and as soon as Zorro is comfy, he starts showing his mean hormony sideand pulled a couple tufts of hair from Fred.

Since they've already lived together, and know each other, I'm a littleunsure how to proceed with bonding. We need to pick up fleastuff for 'brothers dog' so I'm going to try to find the breeder'snumber and get a better idea of their ages.

Petstore lady said Zorro was about 8 weeks
Naturestee said he looked more like 10 weeks, and I'm inclined to trusther, as Zorro has cahones and sprayed the walls a bit at the store.

Hopefully the breeder will be able to shed some light, and if not,their going to the vet tomorrow to get tested for snuffles (a just incase thing. They stopped sneezing after I gave a thouroughvacuum)

So. Zorro will get neutered as soon as possible, and Fredhasn't grown balls yet. I did see a little penis once, thefirst day they were home and he was chasing Zorro around, so I'mpositive he a boy (stay away Gender Fairie!)

Because of the territorialness they will show, and they already knoweach other, should I switch them as to which cages they're inevery other day? I don't think I want to start 'dating' themuntil Zorro is neutered and has had maybe a month for the hormones todie down. Zorro hasn't sprayed anything yet (although he peesmells horrible! good thing it's in a litter box) and I'm aliiiittle worried he might start spraying. Not too much, butyeah.

Any idea's on how to start bonding? Or should I hold off until one or both is neutered?

Sorry if I'm ranting or hard to follow, bunnies and puppy woke me upsevral times last night, and puppy and bunnies kept me from napping allday. Tiiiired Nadezhda.
Sleep now, sleeeeeep.....:sleep:

Are you trying to bond the two boys? This couldbe diifficult. There is no point in keeping them together now as theywill be probably be fighting and could hurt each other. Evenif you get them neutered there is a strong possibilility that you won'tbe able to bond two males. I have two bonded neutered males but it tooka year and I feel that it is only an accident that they get along. Ihave two other neutered males that would still fight each other iftogether. Two neutered males may be able to coincide together withoutfighting but rarely form the strong bond as opposite sexes that havebeen altered. Does anyone else on this forum have neutered males bonded?

Bonding two males is without a doubt the hardest"couple" to bond. They may always spray a little, even if neutered. Iwould seperate them until you get them both neutered. Even though youmay not see his testicles he may still be mature, rabbits can "suck"them into their body, although i'm not sure if they do this a lot, etc.

i would advise getting them neutered and then allowed to recover awayfrom each other so there's no stress of the other while they'rerecovering.

Then i'd set their cages next to each other so that they can get a good sniff at each other for a week or two.

Once they don't seem to care about each other i'd take them into a roomneither have seen or go into a lot "neutral ground" if you will.

Let them play supervised every day for a while. You may end up with them bonded or not, it just takes time.

Hope this helps, :)

Ellie

Right now they're both in my room, with thecages about a meter from each other normally. When Zorro(who's going to get neutered soon) is running around, Fred (no ballsyet) is in his cage on my bed. Wen Fred runs around, I keepZorro in his cage on the floor. Is this all right?Or should one of the buns go into the spare room untill they are bothneutered?

I haven't seen any spraying, at all, from Zorro, so hopefully that behaviour won't present a problem :)

Thankyou for the advice!
There are many places for them to date, including rooms that the new puppy Hunter has been in, downstairs.

Latest posts

Back