Bunny Boarding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannaroo

Reaction score
I'm going away for 11 days in August and have been looking at places to board my pets while I am away. I live at home with my mum and sister however they both work full time and although they love my bunnies and wouldnt intend to harm them I dont think I can go away with peace of mind! I once left my sister in charge for a day and they ran out of hay and it wasnt replaced I then reminded them about how important it was and was presented with an eye roll.....:craziness
I cant leave them with a friends as they're all quite busy with their own lives!
I've been to look at a place today and the hutch was large and VERY clean. It was cool and dry in the garage and all the rabbits and guinea pigs were the runs (it was 11am on a sunday so I was impressed to see it looking so clean and all the pets outside exersizing! I also hadnt given her a time i would pop in so it was good to see it all hyginic!) Fresh hay and greens are provided and litter but I want to provide their usual.
The only concern I have is the runs arent THAT big and am worried about illnesses. She said she wont except sick pets or any without vaccinations. The animals are kept quite close to one another in the runs which I'm worried they will get upset about.
Have any of you put your bunnies in boarding before and what were your experiences? My bunnies are quite laid back and dont tend to stress too much about transportation and new environments but I'm not sure about ow they will react with other animals.
Many thanks
Hannah :bigkiss

My only thought regarding the other animals is that if your bun is spayed/neutered, then they'll be less inclined to have a stressful experience when it comes to feeling like there's someone else in their territory and hormones etc.

Anywhere you board them there is going to be the smells and possibly site of other animals which they may react to. It's hard to know exactly how they will go. Any new place can be stressful for a lot of buns, but others are quite fine with it.

They are both spayed/neutered and have a new but strong bond. They are 21 weeks and pretty laid back but I've never put them in this kind of situation.

Anytime you can avoid putting them in a big boarding place, I think that is better (provided they still have good quality care).

The vet where we take our buns boards bunnies for owners when they need it, but they even recommend against it, knowing how stressing it is on the bunny. Bunnies tend to get lonely, stressed, GI stasis and other problems.

If your buns are pretty laid back, chances are they will be fine, however if you have any friends who you know will do a good job, I'd go for that first.

Also, I'd see if your buns can stay in there own cage as that helps keep the buns calm.

I thought about it and I am leaving them at home with my sister. I think they'll be less stressed and happier and Iwont have to worry about them catching anything!

Latest posts

Back