Bunny Blues?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyCait

Reaction score
Hey guys! Long time no real rabbit talk, Iknow. Busy with work and the new baby, and with spring upon us I've been cleaning like crazy.

Anyhoo, the reason I'm posting is that Breakfast seems very unlike himself lately. He is more flighty and more mope-y... Definitely not himself. And I guess probably hasn't been for awhile, and I'm just now noticing it. He's still eating and drinking and whatnot, but he just seems unhappy. He has been to the vet and has a clean bill of health... I'm not sure what isthe matter with him. Could it be a seasonal thing? Should I set up the x-pen in the backyard and let him have some fresh air, chew on the grass? It's been reasonably nice out lately... Nothing has really changed for him besides the fact that he was moved upstairs, to a bigger pen. He still gets his out times downstairs (although now he can climb the stairs, up AND down!). I've tried new toys, and one he actually seems to like, just a plain cat cube thing. But he just lays in it. I don't know what more to do really... Any ideas?

Edit: Acouple pics...

He just always looks sad to me.

Wow, we totally missed this post, so sorry!

How is Breakfast?

This post was before you lost Mary Jane, so its a bit concerning. :(

Breakfast could have known that MJ was ill with something not obvious to us and was reacting to it, or something could have been affecting both bunnies.

Its not just a molt? Had they been out eating grass? Spring grass can be a problem.

Any chance of anything toxic in their environment? What kind of bedding are you using?

Any diet changes?

How is he since your first post? Better? Worse?

PS: They are sensitive to change, maybe he's not happy about the baby.

sas :clover:

SunnyCait wrote:
Hey guys! Long time no real rabbit talk, Iknow. Busy with work and the new baby, and with spring upon us I've been cleaning like crazy.

Anyhoo, the reason I'm posting is that Breakfast seems very unlike himself lately. He is more flighty and more mope-y... Definitely not himself. And I guess probably hasn't been for awhile, and I'm just now noticing it. He's still eating and drinking and whatnot, but he just seems unhappy. He has been to the vet and has a clean bill of health... I'm not sure what isthe matter with him. Could it be a seasonal thing? Should I set up the x-pen in the backyard and let him have some fresh air, chew on the grass? It's been reasonably nice out lately... Nothing has really changed for him besides the fact that he was moved upstairs, to a bigger pen. He still gets his out times downstairs (although now he can climb the stairs, up AND down!). I've tried new toys, and one he actually seems to like, just a plain cat cube thing. But he just lays in it. I don't know what more to do really... Any ideas?

Edit: Acouple pics...

He just always looks sad to me.
does look sad,,if he goes outside for a visit,then you have to worry about bugs,,but it would be a breather/sunshine for awhile.//.does he not get along with the other bun.??..would mirrors work.??..watch for other behavioral changes-grinding teeth,etc.,,eating habits,poops,,whats his diet like>??--use a stethescope listen to the gi tract,,etc.-check his teeth,ears,feet,etc.--:wave::rose::bunnydance::biggrin2:.sincerely james waller

Pipp wrote:
PS: They are sensitive to change, maybe he's not happy about the baby.
Bayou gets extremely withdrawn and depressed looking when I baby sit. It seems like Breakfast gets plenty of out of pen time. Maybe he's just chillin' and you are mistaking it for depression? I know I do it with people and animals alike.

Still looking for things that might affect both rabbits. Is there any chance this is related to something like mycotoxins in his pellets or hay? Rare, but possible.

sas :?

Pipp wrote:
This post was before you lost Mary Jane, so its a bit concerning. :(

My Jenni was upset - or atleast she seemed like it - when her bunny boyfriend George passed away. They were bonded bunnies so I think thats why she was upset.

Good luck :wave:

I am almost sure now it's just him MOLTING... *sighs* I went to pet him today and I got HANDFULS of hair flying through the air.

I did take MJ to be necropsied, just in case, but I am pretty positive it's not anything that would affect Breakfast. I am not around other rabbits ever, or people who HAVE rabbits, so my home is always "rabbit quarantined". They're still working on the same bag of feed/bale of hay that they've had for the past 2 months... And I store both in a freezer.

No grass, and no diet changes to speak of. They hadn't had the chance to get out this year yet.

It may also be a bit of the baby... he is now NOT allowed on the couch because sometimes she is up there, same with our bed... And I know that really ticks him off because he was never kept off of them before. Our dogs have been unhappy with the baby as well, so I am sure he senses that too, because he is pretty "tight" with them, even if they don't speak the same language.

I wonder if also it was a little bit that he sensed something would happen to MJ? They were close when he was younger and then MJ was mean to him so they were seperated. it was only supposed to be until both were neutered (which Breakfast is, but MJ had one undescended testicle we were waiting on). But they haven't played together in a long time, he's only seen MJ in his cage for months.

The primary reason seems to be the molt, though... I brushed him out really well and he seemed to feel a lot better, he was racing around the ottoman like a crazy man.

Latest posts

Back